Prague - confirming ease of ATMs

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague - confirming ease of ATMs

Is it a stretch to rely on ATMs (and c'cards)and carry only as much as I would normally do?

Our CAD$ is boundin nicely and I am getting daily calls: "what you have not had your money changed over yet???"

In trips to western europe I have never carried more than $100 at any one time.

Please re-assure that this holds true for Prague.

Cheers
Typhoon
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:44 PM

they are everywhere and had no troubles with them.

Watch out for the people in the streets of prague that want to exchange your money at "better" rates.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Steve! Especially for the quick and brief confirmation.

Typhoon

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:39 PM
ja

They are all over and easy to use. However, you have to peak around a bit as they are well-disguised in the beautiful architecture.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I purchased some Kc
at JFK on the way to Prague just so that I would have walking around money as I got off the plane (tips, a meal or two or three, misc. and sundries). One less thing to worry about for a couple of days.

There were plenty of ATMs. I too ran into those dudes trying to sell us some crowns. It was usually when we looked stupid, like staring at out maps and wondering around aimlessly away from the crowd.

On waiter told us he din't want the tip on the credit card. They really don't have that down just jet. They probably tax most of it away.

Not all restaurants accept credit cards.
If you don't see the VISA sticker on the front door/window you better ask to make sure. At least three retaurants that we considered did not take credit cards.

We went to a very good hotel outside the city and I knew that they didn't take credit cards. I didn't know what the cost was going to be so I had to carry a whole wad of bills...

Good luck and have fun.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:45 AM

I've been to Prague twice now and found more ATMs this time than the last, a few years ago. Some may be in the vestibules of banks and not open outside bank hours, however, but there are still plenty around the main Old Town square and any major commercial area.

I don't recall having any trouble using credit cards in restaurants, and I only eat in modest places (I don't mean dirt cheap, maybe US15-20 per person). I do remember one restaurant not wanting the tip on the CC, but this is not a problem that I can see as there's no problem getting cash from ATMs. Actually, one restaurant put it on the CC and when the bill came through, the tip was a separate charge item from the meal, so I think there are some local charge regulations that may be the reason for that.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:01 PM

There is an ATM at the Prague airport - just as you walk out to the cabs. I found ATMs a bit difficult to find at first in Prague (here in NYC we have one every 4 blocks it seems). What I don't understand is why there are so many currency exchange booths - as ubiquitous as glass shops. All the restaurants I went to accepted credit cards - and I always leave my tip in cash.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM

If you want to know what to expect from a CZ ATM go to http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague and look at the FAQ page.

Jason
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Jason, you mention that most banks limit the amount that you can get from an ATM at one time is 10,000 crown. The problem that I have had is that when I request an amount above 2000 crown is that I get 2000 crown (about $67 usd) notes back from the ATM. I have a hard time using these large notes at most shops. Do you have any recommendations at getting smaller notes from these 2000 crown notes?