Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague-Cesky Krumlov-Vienna Itinerary in 6 days too ambitious?

Feb 4th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Kimberly

We are planning our trip and wanted advice on our itinerary. Are we trying to pack too much in?
Arrive Prague-late evening
Day 1 & 2 - Prague
Day 3 - Travel from Prague to Cesky Krumlov by train &/or bus with arrival in early afternoon
Day 4 - Part of day in Cesky Krumlov and travel by bus &/or train to Vienna
Day 5 & 6 - Vienna
Thank you for your help! Kimberly

Feb 4th, 2001, 03:00 PM
sharon

It can be done, but it is a bit rushed (but I think you knew that). Prague and Vienna in 2 days may leave you frustrated and wanting more - but this trip can be done.

Feb 4th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Linda

You could spend all 6 days in Vienna and not see everything. Prague needs at least 3--4 is better. I had a similar decision and Cesky Krumlov to Vienna was a fairly long train ride. I skipped it and still couldn't do all I wanted. It really depends on if you just want to go to all three--yes, it is doable. To do Prague and Vienna right, it isn't enough time.

Feb 4th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Art

I agree with above respondants. You can do Czesky Krumlov in one day but Prague really needs more as does Vienna.

Feb 4th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Howard

As others have said the trip is doable - I made the same trip a few years ago, althoiugh I spent more time in all three places.

One way to maximize your sightseeing time is to leave Prague and Cesky Krumlov very early in the morning in order to arrive in the next destination as early as possible - if seeing things is more important than late sleep/leisurely breakfast.

It is about 3 hours by bus from Prague to CS, so if you leave 7:30, you get there at 10:30, not early afternoon. Same principal from CS to Vienna.

Feb 6th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Kimberly

Thanks everyone!

Feb 6th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Sharon

Nice to see Linda back online. I ws wondering if she ws off on another trip.

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Linda

Thanks, Sharon--last one was in December to Vienna and Krakow.

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Art

Hi Linda, how was Krakow. I'm planning on going to Poland and Rumania next fall and Krakow is one of my stops.
Art

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Linda

Hi, Art! Good to hear from you. Krakow was very nice, small enough to see but large enough that a lot was happening. The side trips to Auschwitz/Birkenau Concentration Camps and Salt Mines were interesting. You must go to Zakopane--resort village in the Tatras Mountains (is/was up for winter Olympics)--about 2-hour bus ride from Krakow. Prices inexpensive and nice people--even found a little grocery store with peanut butter! Also, the town with the Black Madonna--was not able to get there. Gdansk was another place I would have liked to seen. I'm envious! Hope you have a good time! Tell me about Romania when you get back. I think Croatia will be my next stop.

Feb 7th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Lee

Kimberly, For what it's worth, we spent seven days in Prague last November and did not see everything that we wanted to and we were not slackers, either.

I personally wanted to get to Cesky Krumlov, but it just didn't happen.

I would stick with one location and spend some quality time (if that is possible in that amount of time)there. I have visited cities before, spending a day or two and always wished that I had dedicated more time there, you know?

Feb 8th, 2001, 12:14 PM
klee

Lee makes a sound suggestion.

Feb 15th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Miwa

Hello This is a question for Howard. How did you go from Cesky Krumlov to Vienna? And was it difficult?

Feb 16th, 2001, 02:03 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Miwa: If Howard doesn't reply, you're welcome to put the question to me. It's easy, with a little train-hopping at the Gmund border, and the views are good.

Ben Haines, London

"How did you go from Cesky Krumlov to Vienna? And was it difficult?"