Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague-Cesky Krumlov-Munich transport question

Mar 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

My husband, 19 year old daughter and I will be traveling May 1. Our itinerary is 4 nights in Prague, 2 in CK, then to Munich, Fussen and Rothenburg each 2 nights, flying out of Frankfurt. We will rent a car when we leave Munich.

We will be traveling from Prague to CK on a Sunday and will have to see the castle in CK that day, so I am thinking of hiring a car and driver to take us from Prague to CK so that we arrive early enough to do that (castle is closed the next day and then we leave on Tuesday). I know that we can also take a bus from Prague but I am concerned about the timing and transfer from the bus station.

We could then hire another driver and car to take us to Munich. That travel day is my daughter's birthday, so I would rather not spend it on various trains unless it is a particularly scenic route from CK to Munich.

This whole transportation issue is giving me a headache! Comments please!
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
jer

Hi jal52, Can't help you as I am in the same boat! I can't figure out the transportation. Too many choices, too many words I can't remember. I told me husband we are going to worry about it when we get there. Sorry no help at all, except to say that you are not the only one! Jer
Mar 30th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM

You can drive to Cesky Krumlov very easily in about 3 hours and the scenery is gorgeous! Once you are out of the city, it is very easy to find your way.

The Prague airport is a good place to get and drop off rental cars and you can also get a road map there. We used Auto Europe <http://www.autoeurope.com/> and were very pleased with their efficiency and customer service.

While you won't need the car in Cesky Krumlov, it will give you flexibility and allow you to stop in other interesting towns along the way such as Ceske Budejovice, home of Budvar beer (the original Budweiser).
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM

We took the local bus from Prague to CK, spent two delightful nights there, then we took a taxi to Linz (Austria), where we caught a train to Munich. If I had to do it again, I'd taxi to Passau and then take the train to Munich. The taxi to Linz was just a little more expensive than the train. The train left at dawn-thirty and there would have been a transfer somewhere between CK and Linz, so the taxi option was much easier. The driver was pleasant and pointed out landmarks as we drove along through the back roads of the Czech Republic. Your hotel in CK can arrange the taxi.