Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague Castle - Guided Tour or On Your Own??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - Would you recommend a guided tour of Prague Castle or would you just do it on your own? I believe they have a headset tour as well...Sometimes those can be confusing. What do you think?? Thanks!!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I found the headset tour fine and easy to follow. It depends on your priorities I think; if you're really interested in the history of the castle and city a guided tour is probably better so you can ask questions, but if you just want a basic tour the headset option is fine.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Are you asking about the castle or the whole castle complex--including St. Vitus? There is very little in the castle to look at, mostly empty rooms. St. Vitus is the main draw and attracts huge crowds. A guided tour would be nice.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!! Yes, I am referring to the entire complex, not just the palace part. There seem to be so many areas, I was just wondering it made sense to go with a guide or if the headsets are sufficient. An overview of the castle history would be fine for me (vs an in depth perspective on its history), so based on the first poster's feedback, sounds like the headset tour might work. Any other feedback?? Also, do you know how long the headset tour lasts? Thanks!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:43 AM

I took a guided tour of the Castle Hill District which took an entire morning. Included was a visit to the Strahov Monastery (of which the library was the highlight), the Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, and the cottages of Golden Lane. We did a walking tour outside the castle area as well to view the different types of architecture. It was information overload and I can barely remember the inside of the Castle now. Perhaps it was because it was the 12th day of a two week trip! The view from the Castle hill district is beautiful. Disappointed that we did not have time to visit the cottages of Golden Lane as they seemed unique. But I agree with papagena, if you just want an overview, a headset tour would be fine.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I keep reading about how incredibly crowded Golden Lane can become. It seems to me that people tend to go through the castle, St Vitus and Golden Lane in that order as the logical progression. Is that the case? I am wondering if there is any point in going straight to Golden Lane and then doing the castle and St. Vitus afterwards. Would this work? Can one backtrack or are you forced to do it in a certain sequence? I realise we we would need to be going first thing in the morning in order to make this work if it is doable.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I forgot to add that Golden Lane <i>was</i> incredibly busy, and we did do the tour in the order shandy described. However, I seem to recall that we had two separate tickets--one for Castle and St.Vitus and the other for Golden Lane. So perhaps you can buy the Golden Lane separately and do it first.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We were there at the start of June. It was a bit cool and was just about to warm up.

I found the castle area to be one of the lesser attractions. Golden lane is quite packed and narrow.

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:39 PM

If you get off at the Malostranska Metro stop and walk around to the back, you can walk up the hill (there are steps) that will take you to the back entrance of the castle complex and Golden Lane. You do have to have tickets to get into Golden Lane, however, just as you have to have tickets to get into all the sights in the castle complex.

I really didn't like Golden Lane because all the little houses have been turned into gift shops.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM

The cstle is on the very top of the hill - so it only makes sense to start there - do the4 castle and the cathedral and then walk down the Golden Lane.

We did it ourselves with a guidebook (a DETAILED guidebook) and that was fine - although we did listen in to a couple of the tours for a few minutes each. they didn;t seem to be getting any more info than we were - since they were starting at least common denominators and we're traveled a lot and have many of the basics already.

I believe we took a tram from Old Town square that zigzagged up the hill to the Castle entrance.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM

We used the audioguides and found them very well done. St. Vitus is a separate ticket, but is included on the same audioguide. Not sure what could be confusing about it--you see the number on the exhibit or building and press that number.

You can be an all inclusive ticket that includes everything (including Golden Lane) except St. Vitus, or a partial ticket that includes only some of the sights. We bought the all inclusive ticket and were in the castle complex for several hours. You also need a separate ticket to take photos inside the buildings--it didn't cost much.

The buildings in Golden Lane are shops now, but they are still the buildings of Golden Lane, and we enjoyed looking around and having our pictures taken in front of the Kafka house.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:20 PM

I did it - umpteen years ago - on my own with a fairly detailed guidebook and skipped Golden Lane entirely.

There was a restaurant in the Castle precincts at the time where I had lunch (since I was doing the whole Castle Hill, including Strahov and other places); surprisingly, it was not overpriced and the food was good. It was called Vikarka. I have no way of knowing whether it's still there or whether, given the enormous increase in tourism since then, it is still reasonable and good.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I've done it both ways. The &quot;headset&quot; tour was comprehensive and detailed. The private tour was excellent too. Not as detailed but with stories about the history, interesting linkages, anecdotes, etc.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM

ttt
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM

The headset tour is at your own pace so it will last as long as you wish. The golden lane is crowded and as mentioned, the little houses have been turned into shops. Still, it was fun. The blue house on the left where Kafka once lived for a a time sells old musical instruments and such and I thought it interesting and I enjoyed trying out an old horn (never travel without my mouthpiece). Parallel to the golden lane are stairs with great views going down to a main street in Male Strana and from there it is an easy downhill walk to the Charles Bridge. I did not pay attention to the length of the walk but I don't think it could have been more than a mile.