Prague & Budapest: What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife & I are travelling to Europe in early May 2006. We have chosen to visit Prague and Budapest on the suggestions of a few friends. My guess is that we will spend around 4 days in each place. While I have traveled extensively and have seen castles and churches all over Europe, she has never been out of the US. We aren't the opera/artsy type, but would probably be interested in historic sites, castles, and outdoor activities. Assuming 4 days in each city, does anyone have a priority list of things they would recommend we see or do? Again, not interested in art museums or going to the opera or other musical concerts, unless they are free and include having a meal and a drink in a beautiful area.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Have you checked these Fodor's pages?

http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...ur_section=ove

http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...ur_section=ove
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM

So what made you choose it if you don't know what there is to see there? Have you purchased a good guide book?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Read a lot on the guide books, but as I have experience with other European cities, know that people tend to know more about the places to see than the guidebooks. Guide books are generally helpful to get overviews, but not helpful in specific ways. Only guide book I have found to be very accurate is Maui Revealed! Other than that, would rather hear from others what their opinions are.

Picked these cities because of where we are flying in and what friends told us, although nothing specific on the cities themselves, just that they were great places to go. We are being adventureous. Want to know how to narrow down to things we really should see and do and skip the things that are nice to do but will take time away from other things.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM

If you look at the top of the screen you'll see a tab entitled "Destinations". The sections on both Prague and Budapest are great.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM

not interested in art museums or operas... SAD! Prague is beautiful and offers great opera and classical music concerts... But even without there is lots to see.
Budapest without the museums is not really worth going, only few sites, the market, the spas and the old jewish quater...
I hope you will see the churches....
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Well, I disagree with the post that says Budapest without the museums is not worth going to. Visit one of the baths, probably the Gellert, for an afternoon. See the Dohany Street Synagogue. Stroll in the main park (I forget its name). Visit the royal castle. Stroll by the Danube.

In Prague, go to St. Vitus Cathedral and many other beautiful churches, visit the Jewish Quarter and its synagogues, hang out on the Charles Bridge at night where kids sing Beatles music (they're still doing that I hope!) and soak in the gorgeousness of the place!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I have a problem about anyone not including museums and concerts. These can be special stops in Europe. How many castles can you endure I wonder? There is indeed much to see in both cities, including those touristy places like the Charles Bridge, and some nice trips out in the country if you wish.

ozarksbill (seniors there June '05)
[email protected]
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Pay attention, darling! You must read the great Thingorjus' trip report on Prague <The Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha> to really get a grip on the sites, sounds, smells, and tastes of Prague. After reading this report, you will throw your guidebook in the dustbin. Everything you need to know about Prague is in this report!!! So, get hopping and read that report, sweetie darling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the greatest star there is. The stars are ageless!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM

"The stars are ageless..." Hmmmm..sounds like something Zsa Zsa Gabor would say, about herself, that is, if she were still alive.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM

John G!!
I had wondered where on earth you had run off to. Very happy to see you are well and still posting on Fodors.

Are you planning any trips with Muffy any time soon?
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

I posted this question not to spark a debate, nor to be criticized about our tastes. I posted in hopes that there are people out there who can give me an idea how to narrow down things to do in these cities.

Telling me to read the guide books is nice, but I am looking for a little more than that. As for people who are critical of my wish to do other things than music and art museums, it is not my wish to hear your opinion on that subject. I would prefer your opinion on places to go and see though.

I have been to many art museums throughout the world. I am fully capable of understanding what I will see there, so I don't need help with that. I would like to hear about other things that may be interesting to see in the 4 days I have there.

However, it seems difficult to get anyone to answer in a simple way. Sorry for the trouble.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Hi, I was in Budapest last summer for 4 days. We got a 3 day budapest card which allowed us to hope on buses and trams free of charge. I suggest rideing the tram along the water The scenery is beautiful. We walked alot. Visit the pest side. The castle is spectacular. The baths were interesting but I was a little disappointed. There is a really neat Catholic church built inside a cave right next to the Gellert baths. Have fun the city is beautiful, very safe even at night, just beware of pick pockets, they are everywhere.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM

We can't read your mind coach. We don't know how much research you have done on these cities, because you do not mention it. You only say that firends suggested it, so therefore you are going. Suggesting to someone to read a guidebook and do research is not bad advise and would not have been mentioned if you had given us more info up front.

Your original question was " does anyone have a priority list of things that they would recommend we see or do?" but when things were suggested you replied "I am fully capable of understanding what I will see there, so I don't need help with that. I would like to hear about other things that may be interesting to see in the 4 days I have there."

Can't have it both ways since we only know what you type in the original post.