Power converters

Search

Power converters

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power converters

Last time I was in Germany was oh...35 years ago so if this is a dumb question sorry! Just wondering if you still need a converter for hair dryer and batter chargers and the like. Thanks!
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Yes, sort of.
Yiou will at a minumum need an adaptor that converts your two/three prong connection to the local plugs.

Some fo your equipment may be 115/220, in which case you are done.

If not, you require a transformer that converts the votalge from their outlets to your voltage. Because these transformers are small (travel size) they cannot handle large currents without melting. A hait dryer is one such device. So either leave it at home, or buy one over there.

Lot of travel places will sell a travel package that includes all of the above. I bought my stuff at Walmart
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM

You will find many, many threads on this, but I've traveled in Europe for the last two years (just planning next year's), and I've never taken a converter. You need to make sure hair dryers, flat irons, etc. have dual voltage, then you just need an adapter, not a converter. Phones, cameras, gps have internal converters and just need adapters. Last year, I charged an ipad, blackberry, and camera batteries every night.

Okay, all you experts...what have I left out?
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM

I'd check my equipment before assuming dual voltage.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 08:41 AM

I would be curious to know if anyone has had to have a converter to charge any kind of a phone, ipod, gps, or camera batteries.

PS-Oops, I've traveled to Europe every year since 2007, four years,not two. Many of you have traveled there for many, many years. Isn't the whole converter adapter thing a lot easier now?
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Most battery chargers/computer power supplies- that sort of thing are dual voltage and work just fine w/ just a plug adapter. Just be sure to check that it is dual voltage

Hair dryers are provided in almost every hotel/B&B so why schlepp one? But if you do make sure it is dual volatge and use the same plug adapter. (But even dual voltage models will fail frequently enough that I wouldn't take one. 'Fali' doesn't just mean no working - but burning up or blowing the circuits in the entire B&B -which can be pretty embarrassing)

Curling/flat irons are a problem. Yes there are dual voltage models -- but they will not work on the highest temps/settings. If a hair iron is important to you -- I'd buy a cheap one after you are in Europe. It will work better.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 09:08 AM

You do need a converter but I never leave home without this. Charges everthing in one swell swoop. You can pick them up on ebay, I just checked there is one for .99 right now. I love mine.
Belkin Mini Surge Suppressors with USB Charger. It plugs right into any converter.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM

I traveled to Europe with my netbook and had no problems.This year I took it to England 240V used a converter adapter to charge it & it destroyed my screen. it seems on PCs etc one should use a power surger. to be on the safe side. had no problem with hair curler etc.