Potsdam day trip--quick response needed

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potsdam day trip--quick response needed

I need to make a decision by tomorrow on a day trip to Potsdam from Berlin. Can we do Potsdam with Sanssouci and Cecilienhof on our own by train? How far is Cecilienhof from Sanssouci? I have only read in Rick Steve's about this and he says Sanssouci is a challenge for English speakers. I have the option to take a bus but the info says one of the palaces of Sanssouci is included (does not say which one). Is New Palace equally as good? Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM

You can easily get to Potsdam from Berlin by S-Bahn, and from the Potsdam train station to the palaces by bus. Go to the information desk at the train station from which you are departing in Berlin, tell them exactly where you want to go, and they can print for you an itenerary telling you which trains and busses you need to take.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Both are worth a visit. I had my friend drive me so I can't help you there but Thomas provided good advice. The guided tour at Sanssouci is in German, but you can pickup the English writeup which gives a good description of each room. They give you big bedroom slippers to put over your shoes to protect the floor so you sort of glide along during the tour.

At Cecilienhof, again the tour is in German, but you can pickup a written English translation that gives you info on each room.

I enjoyed my visits to both places.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Airlawgirl

Yes! Potsdam is an EASY trip from Berlin on the S-Bahn-remember, the greater Berlin transport system is, if not the best, one of the best in Europe. The town of Potsdam has a very old-world character, lovely to stroll around its cobblestone squares, and I believe it should still be "asparagus festival" time - in German, "spargelfest" 100 different ways of preparing white asparagus-I remember this, because I was in Potsdam about this time a few years ago-every restaurant had several different dishes featuring this specialty. Sans Souci is very interesting with lovely gardens and view. A very worthwhile day trip from Berlin.

P.S. Don't listen to Rick Steves-I don't know much about him-since I've never read his books, and have only seen a couple of his t.v. shows-but with that haircut-well, I can't give him too much credibility....

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Airlawgirl.

You're right - you don't know much about Rick Steves. A lot of people use his books. He is just one source of travel info for me. I mentioned his name and got a 30% discount at a very nice hotel in Rome. The money I saved paid for my plane ticket from London, the bus from the airport and dinner every night for 4 nights in Rome. A hotel in Paris on a traffic free cobblestone street is the only place I will stay there. Could care less about his haircut. (Or the way he dresses, or his politics or any of the many subjects that other posters mention about him.)
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Airlawgirl

Hey-that's your problem with Rick Steves, not mine!

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I don't have a problem with him. As I stated, just one of many sources I use for travel info and I have found some nice places to stay. If you don't like him - that's fine. I've met him and he is a nice guy.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Totally easy. Completely do-able It is a 17 minute ride from Bahnhof Zoo by train or a 40 minute ride by S-bahn from Charlottenburg. I would highly recommend you take advantage of this while in Berlin! Potsdam is well worth it.

Right off the main pedestrian zone on the walk between the main train station and the palaces, there is the place where I ate the best Doener Kepab of my life. You could choose between lamb or turkey/chicken meat and they had delicious cheese and a toasty grilled flatbread. MMMMM. Like I said, the best Doener ever, and I've eaten my fair share in Germany! Have fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:54 AM
yk

Hi mimipam-

It is a lot faster to get to Potsdam by DB trains (Regional Express)than the S-Bahn (17 mins vs 40 mins). When you get to Potsdam train station, the bus station is right outside, and the bus to Sanssouci is #695. We did not find Sanssouci a challenge. Like rj007 said, they have an English handout for folks who need it.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the helpful info. I will definitely go to Potsdam. We are thinking we may go on the tour just because it sounds easy--I always regret these kinds of tours but at least now I know how to get there on my own if needed. Again, thanks.