Post-Christmas week

Search

Post-Christmas week

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post-Christmas week

We are planning on going Dec. 26-Jan 5 to Europe via Amsterdam. We could go on south, eg, Rome. But if we were to stay in the north are wondering about what that week is like in Paris, Netherlands, NE France (Strasbourg area), etc. Are there still lights up? Are the cities quiet because the "natives" are vacationing? Since the days will be short we want to be somewhere where the restaurants, museums, symphonies, etc. are not closed.
We're just beginning to look at possibilities, but know time is passing quickly.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM

The 26th December is second Christmas day in The Netherlands. Everything is closed or open just a few hours.
However if you are only in Europe for the 10 days or so then travelling around from one city to another is a waste of your vacation. You will see nothing when you move from one to another.
My advice is stay in Amsterdam for that week. There is more than enough to see and do.

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM

The Dutch don't really go for Christmas lights like some others do. And as ribeirasacra says Boxing Day most things will be closed (though I believe some museums are open). This will be true of pretty much anywhere in Europe. The days will be short, but that shouldn't put you off. New Years Eve will be one big party with lots of fireworks at midnight, New Years Day lots will be closed again, not sure about the museums and the like.No doubt their websites will tell you.
Quite a lot of Dutch go away skiing around that time, but that doesn't mean it will be quiet.
There are plenty of concerts going on - the Concertgebouw has lots going on - have a look at www.concertgebouw.nl - click on the UK flag for English.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM

With 10 days at your disposal, I would definitely venture beyond Amsterdam. If you can get good plane accommodations, I think Rome is a great idea. If not, Paris is always wonderful at any time of the year. It would be easier to make suggestions if we knew where you have been before.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM

26 December is not a public holiday in France.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Christmas lights stay on until Epiphany, except for the department stores which change to business as usual on January 2nd.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Given that 26th December is a Friday this year, I suspect even where it isn't a public holiday lots of things will be closed.

I would suggest spending a couple of days in Amsterdam then heading off to Paris or wherever. The days will be just as short, and the weather probably just as grey, even in Rome.
Brugge is also a favourite with Fodorites, and it will be fairly quiet then, and pretty after dark.