Post-Budapest winter travel with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2023, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting relatives currently living in Budapest for 5 to 7 days over Christmas 2023. "We" are grandparents (70+) and our daughter's family (with kids ages 7,11,14). We have about 10 days to 2 weeks to spent after Budapest, to include New Years and about a week after. The kids are good travelers, but we prefer not to move around too much. We prefer to travel by train, though could fly if needed.

We don't want to travel too far afield considering the time available. We've considered Venice, (via a few days in Salzburg or elsewhere), which I think could be magical for the kids, but also could be too crowded over New Years. We've also considered Slovenia. We are also happy to stay in one place and take day trips (by train) from there. Crazy questions, but any farm stays (animals? cheese-making? organic farming?) or thermal areas or special festivals you could suggest in winter? We want this to be festive, interesting and fun.

Thanks for any input.
Old May 1st, 2023, 02:28 PM

The Christmas market in Prague was my favorite of those I saw on a previous winter trip, and I believe it's one of the few that are still up and active through the new year. Prague is also a beautiful city to explore, if you haven't been there before.
Old May 4th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you--we've not been to Prague, and I'm interested that the Christmas market may extend longer. Will check into it more.
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can catch the train to Miskolctapolca Cave Bath which is a pretty good visit

https://barlangfurdo.hu/en/cave-bath