Search

possport pages

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possport pages

I will be going to Paris, Prague and Vienna. I do not have 3 blank pages left in my passport but I do have lots of pages with only one stamp. There is not time to get more pages. Is this ok or should I cancel my vacation?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
ira

Hi S,

Hardly anyone stamps passports these days. Some folks have reported being turned down when they asked for a stamp.

If Immigration wants to stamp your passport, they can use a page that has room for it.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM

Just curious--where does one get extra pages. I will need some soon as passport does not expire until 2014. Do these pages just fit into the passport loose?
Thanks, Margo
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM

Even when stamping passpots was common - and it no longer is - they often stamped more than one country on each page (there's room for 4) and I have several pages with 4 stamps, some even overlapping.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM

As mentioned, a new passport is not needed in Steve's case. However, something to keep in mind for some countries, such as China, a visa is required which takes up a whole page and they want to know you have an adequate number of completely blank pages before issuing the visa. How many is enough - I don't know.

For those lucky enough to fill up a passport with stamps and visas before the passport expires, you can also apply for the passport with more than the usual 24 pages.

And why do they even bother with the separate entry and departure sections given how haphazardly they are stamped?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM

I believe you must send the passport back to get more passport pages added - but I'm not an expert on these matters. But - some places won't let you on the plane without adequate FULL page or more for a visa (South Africa).
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
P_M

Steve, you will have no problems at all. Some countries will stamp your passport but not always, and none of the places you mentioned require a full page. When I flew into Paris in 2005 they only stamped my passport after I asked for a stamp. In 2002 and 2004 I flew into Switzerland. Both times I asked for a stamp they refused. Anytime you cross a border within the Schengen zone they don't even look at your passport. They might stamp it when you enter the Czech Republic, but it's a little stamp and you don't need a full page.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:55 AM
ira

Hi Margo,

>where does one get extra pages.

You mail your passport to the US Passport Service Office.

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Gosh, Ira, I hear that there is a huge backlog at the US Passport office and that it takes 2-3 months or more to get a passport renewal. I am hardly ever home long enough to be without my passport for that long. I guess I'll check the passport website for further instructions. Maybe because I live in the DC area, I can just walk in and get some. LOL.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM

I (U.S.) passport and have no problems. Oddly enough, there's one page with more than a dozen stamps on top of each other and everyone seems to want to add their stamp to that page. It happened again when I went through passport control at Orlando last week. The blank pages were ignored--the officer went straight for the overloaded page. It's like the immigration guys are in some kind of game to see how many stamps they can pack onto that one page. So don't worry about it.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM

My husband got extra pages added to his passport at the US Embassy in Prague.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Jed

Many post offices have passport sections, or some passport officials available at certain times. You can get the official info then. We sent in our passports, through our PO, and got more pages inserted in them when needed.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>My husband got extra pages added to his passport at the US Embassy in Prague.</i>

Many consular offices (but not all) can add pages on site.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM

One of my law partners had to cancel his post-Christmas trip out of the country (after he'd arrived at the airport!) because he did not have a single totally blank page (although there was plenty of space on many pages). I believe he was going to South Africa.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM

hamlet...the chinese embassy in london required 2 full free pages in my case (i learnt this the hard way recently when i only had one). but obviously not a problem for countries not requiring a visa.

just curious btilke...why was your US pp stamped in the US or am i misunderstanding something.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Steve- you won't have any problem going to Europe with less than 3 blank pages-I have always ordered the 48 page passport since I travel frequently, but I do get stamped every time I come back in the US, and also coming into Europe, but I have several pages where there are multiple entry stamps.

South Africa is a different situation, as is Asia- I would not go to these parts of the world without the requisite number of pages left remaining in the passport, but Europe is no problem in this context.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Walkinaround, it's always stamped when I go to the U.S. for a visit. The stamp just says &quot;admitted&quot;. And today, when I flew back to the UK, the passport lady again stamped that same overloaded page. 14 stamps on 1 page and counting.
Pleasant surprise at Gatwick--after exiting the plane at the very last gate in the North Terminal, finally made it down to Immigration and the line for &quot;all other passports&quot; had 4 agents and only 3 people in line. I was through in 2 minutes! Meanwhile, the UK etc passport line was about 250 people deep. Sometimes it pays to be a stranger in a strange land ;-)
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Does anyone know where in London the American consulate is located. Ans whether they have a walk in office to get extra pages inserted into my passport?
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:55 AM

http://london.usembassy.gov/ukaddres.html
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Pausanias

The consulate is located in the embassy at Grosvenor Square in Mayfair. They used to add pages for walk-ins, but it appears their policy has changed

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...rts/extra.html

and they now perform the service by mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -