Positano w/o a car: Whaddya think?

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano w/o a car: Whaddya think?

Two couples will be taking the train out of Rome on Oct., headed to Naples and ultimately to Positano. We were considering renting a car in Naples, and driving the rest of the trip, and then keeping the car in Positano. But can we do without a car?

We'd like to take trips to Pompeii, Capri, Sorrento and maybe Ravello. And we're renting a house in Positano, so we'd like to visit the town there and grab some groceries once in a while.

Doable without a car?
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:14 AM

I think the first question to ask is - does the house you are renting have parking?

Second questions to ask is - do you have any idea where the house is in relation to the nearest SITA bus stop?

You do know that almost nothing on the Amalfi Coast is horizontal, right? Even if you use the car to "get groceries" you will probably end up hiking many, many stairs in the process.

Personally I would not want a car on the coast unless I was going completely off season and staying in a place nowhere near a bus stop and that did have reserved parking.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM

What can you do without a car? Wait in line for a bus. Pay a driver. Walk.

Seriously, rent a car. Does the house have a parking space? We drove and its not as not as bad as people make it out to be. Get a GPS and if you get lost, who cares, you're on vacation.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Without knowing where the house is, no one can say. Does the house have parking?

You can also pick up a car in Sorrento. I wouldn't drive in Naples.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM

I forgot to ask - Why the train to Naples? After our 4 night stay in Rome, we (2 couples) went back to the airport to rent a car. I know airport rental fees are higher but it is easier to just get on the highway and start the journey than to try to navigate the city streets. Just make sure you rent a car that will accommodate 4 people and all of the luggage.

We were traveling in April/May and stayed in Positano 3 nights. Our plan was to take the boat to Capri for the day from Positano, but because of high winds, it couldn't dock that day and was only picking up in Sorrento. If we didn't have a car, we would have had to hire a driver to take us to Sorrento to catch the boat. Yes there are many, many steps on the Amalfi coast. We had 73 just from the street to our hotel room, but that's why the have the views they do.

You might be able to visit Pompeii on your way to or from Positano.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM

We kept our rent car one day in the Amalfi coast after driving in from Sienna so we could go to Pompeii, then happily turned it in at Sorrento and took a bus back to Positano. We wouldn't have used it at all, as there's a bus to everything and parking is a pain in the neck and extremely expensive.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies so far. To answer your questions and comments:

Parking: The house does not have parking. We would have to park it at a nearby pay lot (80 euros/wk). That's not an issue. If we decided we needed a car, we would do that.

Bus stop: It's reachable.

Horizontal: Yes, been there, and I understand. We're prepared for the steps. Also, the grocery store delivers. But we would want to walk into town. I don't see how having/not having a car changes anything about that.

GPS, gettng lost, etc.: That's not a concern. I've driven in Italy, and have no problem with getting around. The question is whether we can do the kinds of things we want to without using a car.

Why Naples? Long story, but we're meeting up there, so it seems like a convenient place. but that's flexible. We could train to Sorrento and rent there.

We probably would hire a driver to take us to Pompeii, so we're prepared for that. We were hoping to take the hydrofoil to Capri.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM

Well, obviously you will need a ferry to get to Capri.

You can get to all the other places by public transit - but see no problem with having a car as long as you have organized parking.

We prefer to stay in Sorrento - with a car, the hotel has free parking - but we go in mid to late May when it's not really crowded yet. Drove to every place we wanted (except Capri obviously) with no problem - and frankly, I think public transit would have been a PIA for us.

Can;t comment on using the car within Positano - since don;t know where you will be staying. If out of town I suppose it makes sense.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 11:40 AM

I have been to the Amalfi coast many times and I would never want to rent a car there. Public transportation is very good (train between Naples and end of line at Sorrento), CITA buses everywhere else. Parking is a problem and a hassle with a rental. Who needs the stress? You can easily do all the places you mentioned and more by train and bus including Ravello. I like Sorrento for a base as it is easy to get to all the other places.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM

I agree with Larry.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM

P.S. How much luggage will you have? Would 4 adults + your luggage fit in one car?
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM

And I agree with Larry.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM

I visited Naples and Positano in June and no way would I ever want to drive in either of them again. Total hassle, limited parking, navigating through tiny streets or the Amalfi Coast Drive on the way to other towns/cities is not my idea of a good time.

Yes, this was in early June, so chances are October will be less congested, but with the excellent transportation options offered between most places, why bother?

BTW, this was my fourth visit to Naples and the coast. Next time I will go everywhere by train, boat, and bus.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 02:54 PM

All of those towns are so close to each other and there is no way I would drive my own car. Pay for a taxi to drive you everywhere and stop on he side of the road for amazing pics!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Train to Naples for the day easily.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>We would have to park it at a nearby pay lot (80 euros/wk).
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM

We have been to the Amalfi Coast many times. Next month we are renting a villa in Positano and will not have a car.
It is not necessary at all. You have the SITA bus to take you up to Sorrento (where you can get the Circumvesuviana to Naples or Pompeii) or take the bus down to Amalfi and Salerno, where you could get the train to just about anywhere.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM

I agree that you don't need a car. We have driven in other areas of Italy, but the Amalfi Coast is best enjoyed in the back seat IMO. We were able to visit Capri, Amalfi town and Ravello easily from Positano using the ferries, buses and funiculares. Either hire a driver or use public transportation; your own car is just a hassle with the traffic and parking challenges.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been to the AC many times and at all times of the year between Easter and 31 October and have had a hire car every time. We've always valued the independence it gives us and have never been bothered by parking or driving.

I honestly think that most of the US visitors, who are used to wide streets find it difficult, whereas us Europeans who regularly drive on narrow roads and in traffic don't find it a problem. I'd hire a car.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

Using the advice from the majority of responses, it appears we will not rent a car. And now it turns out that a 3rd couple will be joining us in Naples. I know there is public transport to Positano from Naples, but I think we might use a driver, just for the ease and convenience. I'm getting estimates of 150-175 euros to take 6 of us to Positano (about 50-55 euros/couple).

We'd been to the Positano/Sorrento area once before, and are looking forward to returning.