Reload this Page >

Positano or sorento

Search

Positano or sorento

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Howie

Positano or sorento

I am going to the Amalfi Coast in May. I am not sure whether to stay in Positano or Sorento. I have heard great things about both. Any suggestions? We want take day trips then go home to a relaxing evening- good dinners, nice views not too noisy. HELP!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Myer

There are a great many posts on this subject.<BR><BR>I'm not a big fan of Positano. Yes it is striking as you approach, etc. But there's nothing going on there.<BR><BR>Sorrento is a much nicer town than people seem to realize. Also, it's a great jump-off point for Pompeii, Capri, the Amalfi coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello), etc.<BR><BR>It's also easier to get to unless you want to fight with a car.<BR><BR>We've been to Sorrento twice and I can see going back again.<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Howie

myer,<BR>Thanks! Is it necessary to have a car in sorento(for day trips)? All of the places we have looked out are on the outskirts of Sorento- do you know if there is public transportation to get us into town center?(or should we just get the car?) It seems to me that after long days of sight seeing Sorento would be a nice relaxing place to spend our evenings.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Grasshopper

Howie, There is a lot of good public trasportation (planes, trains and busses) that emanate from Sorrento (note the two &quot;r's&quot. You really don't WANT a car there. My favorite hotel is the Aminta. Fabulous 360 degree views.<BR>www.aminta.com

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Myer

We've never rented a car in Europe.<BR><BR>While some of the hotels on the outskirts or in the hills have shuttles to town, others may be able to provide more info.<BR><BR>We've stay right in the middle of town both times. A little (just ordinary) hotel Villa di Sorrento. There are many much nicer and more expensive places in town.<BR><BR>Sorrento is the large town of the area. In the morning you can see many kids get of the commuter train from the other towns for school.<BR><BR>We were there in early May. If you have a choice try to go a bit later. Near the end of May or even June. I don't think it gets too crowed until July and not all services are operational until later in May.<BR><BR>We were lucky. The Boat to Positano started the day after we got there.<BR><BR>It's only a 30 minute (max) boat ride to Capri. Don't mis it. But also, DO miss the Blue Grotto (tourist trap and nothing more. see other postings on this).<BR><BR>From Naples you can get to Sorrento either by boat (more expensive and you have to go to the Marina) or by Commuter train from the basement of the Naples train station. Not a 'class' way to travel but convenient and inexpensive.<BR><BR>Half way from Naples to Sorrento is Pompeii. You can go back there on a day trip (30 min).<BR><BR>There are many restaurants in the old part of town. Also, a good number of hotels in different price ranges.<BR><BR>In case you were not aware, Sorrento is famous for it's inlaid wood work. Music boxes from Sorrento are sold all over the world at many times the price of buying them there.<BR><BR>Don't buy from the big stores right in the center. There are many stores that are a front for little factories in the small streets. We bought a few from a store named Augusto.<BR>