Search

amalfi coast itenerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amalfi coast itenerary

we're finally going!

we have decided to stay in posatino as our base and do day trips. are we making a mistake by not going to capri for one night?

this is what i came up with after reading all your posts:
may 5-arrive positano late afternoon-see the city

may 6-ravello and vietri sul mare-see villa cimbone and shop. vietri sul mare good prices for ceramics.

may 7-amalfi and priano use 10:00 ferry and return 6:00 ferry (last of day)

may 8-capri-ferry at 10:00 and last ferry back at 6:00.

may 9-pompeii-use audio tour not guide books need about 3 hours. use bus-train or hire driver?

may 10-sorrento- use metro del mare jet-best ceramic prices

may 11-free to repeat or do new location

may 12 leave in a.m. for airport

I would appreciate any input about the days i have chosen and the transportation. thanks a million-you have all been an amazing help.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, while beautiful, Positano really isn't very much of a "city". In fact, there isn't even a town.

All you have are some winding roads going up into the hills.

Having said that, I would go to Amalfi the same day as Ravello since Ravello is directly above Amalfi.

I would really stay in Sorrento since it's much bigger, is very underrated and has many restaurants. Also, it's an excellent launching point for the area sights.

Easy to get to Capri, Positano and Pompeii.

I took the bus (the famous bus ride) from Sorrento to Amalfi. Walked around a bit to recover. Then took the bus up to Ravello. Then walked around for a couple of hours and visited one of the beautiful villas. Then I walked all the way back down to Amalfi. Took the boat back to Sorrento.

My wife stayed in Sorrento (wouldn't take the bus) that day. The next day we took the boat to Positano and spent a few hours walking around. Had lunch. Then took the boat back to Sorrento.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM

ctroum,

Hi there. We'll be there the exact week you are.

We'll be at pompeii the same day you will.

If you see 18 people, who are all my friends as we are on our annual Europe trip together, please do come over and say hello.

I'm the one with long salt and pepper hair, 5"2 and I look Italian( alas but an Eastern European Jew!, real name: Robyn)

We are staying in Sorrento. the Bellevue Syrene and made that choice becuase of there is more to do and the terrain is a bit flatter ( we have two friends, while young, have a few hip problems).

But we are doing a full Amalfi Coast day. First though before lodging in Sorrento,we'll be in Capri on May 5 and 6th, Casa Morgano, and depart for Sorrento on the 7th. We leave back for the states on the 11th.

We do this every year, different locations throughout Europe in addition to all of us taking extended summer European and Asian holidays.

Really, I hope you will come over and say hello if you see us in Pompeii, we can't be missed. We'll be there from 10am to 12:30pm. I know Pompeii is big, but if you do see us...

Have a great trip!!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Myer about staying in Sorrento. (And I have stayed at the Bellevue Syrene where tripgirl/Robyn is staying. Great hotel.) If you were planning to relax in Positano for a few days, then I'd definitely recommend staying there. But with the destinations on your list (and I recommend a day in Naples), you'd have an easier time moving around if you were based in Sorrento.

Another issue with your present itinerary is that you're relying on ferries on several days. If you get unlucky with the weather and the seas are rough, the ferries will not operate. So, if you stick with Positano as your base, research the bus and train schedules so that you can be ready to adjust your plans. And be prepared to switch things around if it rains; Pompeii and Capri are best appreciated in dry weather.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM

While I understand why some are recommending Sorrento as a home base - and it's where I stayed on my Amalfi trip - know that it's a town comprised mostly of hotels and ceramics shops. There are a couple of nice restaurants, but I felt most were just so-so to awful -- and it's very, very touristy (hence all the hotels) and even the Italians won't speak Italian. The center part of town is perfectly cute, but rather redundant with the same shops and cafes block after block. And because of the vast amounts of tourists and that fact that it's used as a home base by so many (I'm not kidding about the vast amounts of hotels), sometimes I had to remind myself that I was in Italy - it was sort of surreal.

Conversely, I LOVED Positano and would probably base there if I went back to the Amalfi -- it was extremely pleasant and charming and I think would be a much more enjoyable place to come back to in the evenings than Sorrento. I had friends who just based out of Positano and adored it.

That said, in order to maximize your time sightseeing - and not commuting - you might consider adjusting your schedule to group your activities and lodging by approximate locations since it could take you a long time to go down to Positano and then backtrack up to Sorrento (about 45 mins. by bus - only 2 stops in Positano so possible walking; over an hour by ferry) and then separately on another day to Pompeii (since Pompeii and Sorrento are only 30 mins. apart on the commuter train / Circumvesuviana). The commuter train from Naples ends at Sorrento and then you have to do a bus or ferry to get further down the coast, so it can be time consuming getting to the ferry or waiting for the bus in Sorrento to Positano (which can often be crowded and you may have to stand).

Accordingly, I would suggest you compromise and split the difference in order to minimize your time traveling to and from day-trip destinations and consider adjusting your schedule to stay in Sorrento for a night or two and doing for example: your Sorrento ceramics shopping, travel to Pompeii from there (maybe Pompeii in the morning continue on to Naples for the archaelogical museum and dinner and ferry back to Sorrento). Naples might be a good way to use that free day you now have on your list since most of the artifacts from Pompeii have been moved to the archaelogical museum there and it would also be a contrast to the other small towns you will be visiting. I have read articles lately that Naples is beginning a revival. (Naples from Sorrento is around 70 mins. on the commuter train but only 40 mins. further from Pompeii).

Then, once those activities are checked of the list, head down the coast and move your home base to Positano from where all the other places on your list should be pretty easily accessible. Do at least one bus ride from Sorrento to Positano as the views are spectacular.

Capri was not one of my favorite places because the town is so touristy, but I understand if you get out of the town that it is beautiful (I escaped quickly to the town of Amalfi, which I found to be quaint and not so touristy ...and that is the great thing about that area, if a certain town doesn't suit you, you can just jump back on the ferry) -- next time I would choose another island a little more off the beaten path. So, I personally, don't think that you miss-out by not spending a night there and isn't worth the hassle of moving.

I think you will be much happier and have a more relaxed trip if you group according to location. Get the best of both worlds with the convenience of Sorrento for the first part and then the lovliness and charm of Positano for you second.

You will have a fabulous time!

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, ctroum, everyone has their idea of "touristy." The Amalfi Coast, Capri and Sorrento are ALL tourist destinations, ergo they are all touristy on one level or another.

If all you see are the "main drags" of each town, you will see tourists outnumbering locals 10:1 or worse. (That was one of the reasons why we liked the Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento so much; it was several blocks from the main street and shopping area.) If you really want something less touristy, you have to stay in one of the smaller towns, preferably not on the main bus route.

We had great food and so-so food from Naples to Capri to Amalfi, but the quality was not based on the location of the restaurant. In fact, the best meals we had were at a hole-in-the-wall place in Sorrento filled with locals.

You can stay wherever you like. Just be flexible and informed about all the transportation options. Wishing you a great trip with good weather!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:21 PM

hi,
we are reserved at hotel settimocello for june 15 for 4 nights. any local restaurants that one would reccommend? we hate the tourist traps.also, do you reccommend any other areas to visit during our stay?please help with the eating places!
thanks