Help with planning on the Amalfi Coast

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Help with planning on the Amalfi Coast

I'm trying to plan a trip to the Amalfi Coast. I keep hearing that Positano is the prettiest. Would that be a good base to see the sights or would Sorrento be better for transportation, we certainly will not be driving on the coast.

Also, if we fly into Naples how do we get to Sorrento or Positano without paying a fortune. Is there a train that goes there?
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM

There is a train from Naples to Sorrento. After that transit is either by bus or rental car or by boat along the coast. Details depend on when youre going.

In the summer the road is mobbed and ferry may be an option. If later in the year, bus makes more sense, since boats will not travel if the seas are rough.

Where to stay depends on 1) what you want to do and 2) how much you mind climing up and down steep hills (beyond Sorrento the towns are cut out of the side of a cliff and are quite vertical

Sorrento is easier if you want to see Pompei and the Museums in Naples - but is a larger town. Ferry to Capri is esay from any of the towns along the coast.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
ira

Hi S,

There is a bus from NAP to Sorrento
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

We would be traveling the first week in May of next year. Hopefully that's a good time to go.

Would basing ourselves in Sorrento be less hassles. Is there a good recommendation for a hotel with ocean view. I just keep hearing Positano is so great but taking a train and then a bus sounds like a bit much. How much are taxis or private drivers from Naples to Positano, probably a fortune.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I recommend staying in Sorrento and taking the train (if you want to go to Pompeii) or the ferry (for Positano or Capri). Sorrento is mostly flat and very easy to walk around. There is a great passagiata at night and a wide range of restaurants. Positano is all hills and steps and quite difficult to "stroll" or "amble" about. In addition, the killer view of Positano is from the water, so arriving there on the ferry from Sorrento is quite a sight! This is a wonderful area and you really can't make a BAD choice, but IMO Sorrento makes a terrific base from which to enjoy this area.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM
ira

Hi S,

>How much are taxis or private drivers from Naples to Positano, probably a fortune.

From the Airport to Positano about 110E.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorrento it is. Any good hotel reservation, not too expensive, with a view or on the water.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM

What is "expensive" to you? Have you done a search for Sorrento hotels? Do you know about TripAdvisor?
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I haven't done much research yet, I would like something under $150, not sure how much the hotel rooms go for in Sorrento. Don't mind a tiny clean room but would enjoy a view.