Reload this Page >

Positano Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:51 AM
Ross

We have reservations at the Palazzo Murat in Positano for late September-early October. Does anyone who's stayed there have any comments? What is the weather generally like that time of year? Also, any other hotel recommendations for the Positano/Amalfi Coast area based on your own experience? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>Ross Elder <BR>Boston, MA

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 12:03 PM
Topper

topping

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 01:59 PM
rlk

Ross: <BR> <BR>Can only speak to your weather query --- and late Sept/early Oct is a great time to visit Positano or actually, ALL of Italy. <BR> <BR>There are several weather websites that can provide historical data as to temps, etc. I don't think Positano makes their listings; you'd have to look at what's shown for Napoli. <BR>www.wunderground.com <BR>Also think the weather info off the New York Times website may get into historical data. <BR> <BR>I've not stayed at Palazza Murat, however have seen several positive comments from other posters on this site when discussing hotels in Positano. <BR>And hopefully someone who has been there can provide detailed feedback. <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:38 PM
wendy

We stayed at Le Agavi Last summer. View was spectacular, pool beautiful, great breakfasts. location is at top of cliff- some view it as a negative- we didn't- hoel drove you down to the town- a 5 minute ride. We liked being away from the crowded town at the bottom. <BR>Standard Rooms were okay- nothing outrageous- so I would opt for an upgraded room. Views were amazing off the huge terraces.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:32 PM
az

If you like touristy, crowded places, w. lots of "action", then stay in Positano. But if you want quiet quarters w. spectacular views, the Hotel Tritone near Praiano is the place to stay. We have been there twice; cancelled our trip to Sicily to return for a few more days just last week. EVERY room has a view to the west all the way to the Faraglioni (the 3 "rocks" for which Capri is famous), and on a clear day you can actually see the arch in the middle one from your room balcony. To the east is a magnificent vista of the village of Praiano, w. its twin-steepled church in the center of your view and the ancient church on the horizon about half way up the mountain. Straight down about 1000 feet is the sea. You can watch the ship traffic in and out of Salerno from your balcony as well. <BR>The beach facilites are superb (although the beach itself is rocky, like all of them along the Amalfi Coast), and you walk through a long tunnel carved out of the rock to get there after a long elevator ride. There is a bar and a second swimming pool down at the beach as well. <BR>The breakfasts (which are included in the room rate) are sumptuous, including different pastries/cookies of the region every morning (including almond cookies and cannola), and you can get delicious omelets w. ham/cheese and apricot juice along w. the standard breakfast fare most hotels provide. They are served on an outdoor terrace w. to-die-for views. <BR>The hotel is literally carved into the side of the cliff below the road, so it is very quiet and very private, if that is what you want. You may even hear the "cock of Praiano" crowing in the sunrise if you leave the doors to your balcony open, and you can easily hear the church bells toll the quarter hours. It is the loveliest place I have ever stayed in decades of travel. <BR>The downside, if there is one, is that you really need a car to see the other sites along the Coast and inland if you stay there. The hotel does have adequate parking, however. <BR>The service is superb.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:19 AM
bud ferillo

Without question, Le Sirenuse is the best hotel in Positano ... for quality accomodations, service, view of the town, restaurant, location. We visit there annually and know others but Le Sirenuse is superb.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 09:24 AM
MICHAEL

THE SAN PIETRO IS BREATHTAKING

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Jodi

Ross- <BR> <BR>My boyfriend and I are leaving this Sat. for Italy and we have reservations at the Palazzo Murat. We have heard only wonderful things about the hotel and have done lots of research. We'll post something about our trip when we get back 8/4. <BR> <BR>Jodi

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Linda

I haven't stayed here myself, so I can't give personal experience, but my favorite guidebook chooses it as their best pick for Positano. Supposedly, it is very quiet. It's an 18th century residence of the King of Naples. The best rooms are in the old wing, with No. 5 having the best view. Good breakfast buffet on the patio. I think if I was going to stay in Positano, this would be the hotel I would pick. It looks wonderful.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 02:24 PM
michele

Ross, <BR>I read a very favorable review of Palazzo Murat on this forum a few months ago. <BR> <BR>AZ or others with knowledge of Praiano: <BR>How isolated is the hotel from the town? <BR>Are there restaurants, cafes, etc nearby or is the hotel the only restaurant in town? Thanks. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Jamie

My sister and I stayed at Palazzo Murat in 1993 and loved it! Looks like an old castle, fabulous location and great price. Rooms had balconies overlooking water. Friends stayed several years ago at San Pietro and also loved it. Have fun and be sure to try the local drink--Lemoncello. There's also great shopping for Italian pottery--bring lots o cash!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:55 PM
az

Michele: <BR> <BR>I assume you are talking about Hotel Tritone. It's about 1.5 mi west of Praiano by road, but only a few hundred yards across the water. Yes, there are other hotels and restaurants in P., including La Brace, one of the better restaurant "finds" along the Amalfi Coast. It's very unspectacular from the outside, but the menu is extensive and inexpensive, and much of the pasta and pastries are homemade. Also some of the best pizza we had along the Coast. <BR>You can easily pull up hundreds (thousands?)of hits by typing "praiano italy" into Google search. Your favorite search engine will probably yield similar results. <BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 07:21 AM
maria

Ross, <BR> We stayed at the Villa Franca this past May and we loved it! This was our first trip to Positano so I can't comment about other hotels, although we did stop in the lobby at Palazzo Murat. The atmosphere there seemed very 'old world, regal' while Villa Franca was decorated brightly with white, blue and yellow ceramics and lemon motifs everywhere. I guess it's just a matter of preference. Also, the Palazzo Murat is closer to town, if that makes a difference to you.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:03 AM
dave

Anyone ever stay at Casa Teresa in Positano? Comments? <BR> <BR>Read excellent reviews and truly awful ones.