Reload this Page >

Positano - Did I miss something?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Myer

Just returned from Rome and Sorrento again.<BR><BR>Did the Amalfi Coast bus ride (another story). Scenery was spectacular and approaches to Positano and Amalfi likewise. Ravello was great.<BR><BR>I found the approach to Positano worth more than actually being in the town. I was there for a few hours and all it seemed to be was an endless series of expensive tourist shops with no actual town to speak of.<BR><BR>Did I miss something?<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:36 AM
carol

Not in my opinion!

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:50 AM
jeff w

i did that same bus trip and went to same places last year. I also found that these small towns are great for the scenery and maybe gelato. However, not staying in town means that we did not go to eat or stay on beach--did you. I think if we had been able to do those things the trip to Positano would have been nicer. One thing we did do is did walk down from the top of the town to the bottom which was fun. I thought that Cinque Terra was as fun howver.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Sherry

My husband and I just returned from that area as well. We stayed six km away in Praiano. And we are of the opinion that we must have missed something too, because we just did not think Positano was that great. <BR>The scenery is spectacular, but all of those same old same old shops.<BR>Sorry, just our opinion. And getting into and out of it is a nightmare by land no matter how you do it.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Myer

So I guess my evaluation of Positano was correct. Or at least the same as those who answered.<BR><BR>No we did not use that 'beach'. A few years ago we were on the French Riviera and went to the beach in Cannes (a real beach). However, we live near Ft Lauderdale (last 10 years) and while we still consider it a treat going to the beach and eating there, that little beach in Positano is not very tempting.<BR><BR>The scenery on the drive however, is another thing.<BR><BR>The drive. I took the bus in Sorrento and decided to go to Amalfi and up to Ravello. My plan was to skip Positano that day and return the next day by boat for Positano.<BR><BR>I don't normally suffer from motion sickness. That drive was something else. Hanging over the cliffs had nothing to do with it. That was great.<BR><BR>The bus got a little warm once it filled up filled people standing. The driver drove the whole way with his hand on the horn. He also had only 2 foot positions: Floor the gas and floor the brakes. <BR><BR>I just made it to Amalfi, took some time to let my body settle and then took the bus up to Ravello. Villa Crimbrione (sp) view is something. <BR><BR>I then decided to walk back down to Amalfi (about 1 hour and 20 minutes thru Priano). Nice walk.<BR><BR>Took a boat back to Sorrento (the season started that day).<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Nancy

The trick is to stay overnight and take in the views from your room and experience the quietness and the moonlight on the sea. Then the stroll into town and the port is secondary and just something to do to break up gazing at the views. Some towns are to be experienced as day trips, some are to be experienced just for itself, like Positano. Just rushing up and down the steps in an afternoon stop from a bus is not fun.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Patrick

I've always been somewhat amazed when people warn about not driving the Amalfi coast. We did it and found it beautiful and not nearly so bad as it is usually suggested. We got stuck taking the bus one day however from Amalfi back to Positano when the boats stopped running, and our experience on the bus was much like yours. I wonder if those who rant about the drive are only speaking from their experiences on the bus -- now that is frightening!

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:00 AM
igor

We are really looking to spend some time on the beach (the real "beach"). I realize that the quality of the sand is pretty bad at the Amalfi coast but we would still like to have a large strip of beach to our disposal. We visited Costa Del Sol last year and even though the sand was very rough we still like the beach there a lot. Is there a place on the Amalfi Coast with the comparable beach area?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Igor

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Capo

Hi Myer. I definitely share your feelings about the spectacular Amalfi Coast bus ride and, somewhat, about Positano. It did seem like an endless series of tourist shops (though not all were expensive, IMO) but I liked the way the walkway wound down to the beach, and I loved the view of the town from the beach as well. <BR><BR>Overall, though, I'm glad we decided to stay in Sorrento instead of Positano -- and would make the same choice again -- because of the wonderful old town in Sorrento.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Frank

Igor<BR>I didn't see any large strips of beach on the Amalfi coast, and because of my kids I looked for them. Ischia had the best beaches we found.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:24 AM
John

Igor/Frank,<BR><BR>About an 1 - 1 and 1/2 hours South of Amalfi you will find super beaches near Paestum.<BR><BR>One of our favorite beach 'hideaways'.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Sherry

Hi Patrick. I was really surprised at how much we liked Sorrento. We actually visited twice on our recent trip. I think if I had to do it again, I would seriously consider Sorrento and taking day trips to the others by boat from there.<BR>Praiano is not a town where the boats can be used. One must go to Positano or Amalfi. We had a car, and a place to park it , so we didn't care that we could not easily access boat travel.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Chrissy

I agree with Nancy. We really enjoyed Positano, though not for the shops (not many of them and you see repetitive merchandise), or the beach (small and rocky), but for the atmosphere and natural beauty. I would have been happy staying in my hotel room the whole time with my husband feeling the warm breezes through the double doors to our balcony and watching the sun rise and set. It was VERY romantic, especially as the sun would go down and all the lights would go on in the town carved into the hillside. We also rented a boat for a few hours which was an absolute blast.<BR><BR>We drove our rental car there and had no problems. It's a little scary, but you get used to it and it actually becomes kind of fun.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:03 PM
igor

Well, we are not looking to spend a lot of time in our room, so I guess, Positano is not for us.

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Myer

I started it and maybe I'll finish it.<BR><BR>We've been to the area twice. First was 3 years ago and then a week ago. We stayed in Sorrento both times and loved it.<BR><BR>Just a short hop to Capri (beautiful if you ignore the Blue Grotto), a tough bus ride along the coast and a nice boat ride back.<BR><BR>The old town is pretty and there are many restaurants and different types of shops. Didn't forget to buy that music box this time (an excuse for coming back).<BR><BR>With summer coming and the warm temperatures try eating out on the deck of the Foreigner's Club. The deck wasn't open yet this time but last time we had a table along the railing and watched the sun set with a view of Vesuvius accross the bay.<BR><BR>Live band very good meal.<BR><BR>I guess we'll have to go somewhere else next time and think of another excuse to return. Play the music box.<BR>