Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Positano/Amalfi - where to stay and how to get there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 01:53 PM
kay

After a honeymoon in Florence and Tuscany we would like to visit Positano/Amalfi/Ravello. Does anyone have a favorite 4 star hotel ( La Sirenuse looks great but maybe something in between a three-star and La Sirenuse)to recommend? <BR> <BR>We would be travelling from Tuscany - any thoughts on plane vs. train? and how many hours. Is it worth it for 2 days? I've been to Venice and Rome previously and would like to see some of coastal Italy but other suggestions welcome. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 10:20 AM
7SV

Depends who you are. I would avoid the luxury hotels not only because of the money but also because of the lack of atmosphere. After having been to Italy for a number of times I have learnt how important it is to learn your home work. You must go to Positano but not for two days. A week is a minimum if you would like to include our worthwhile visits to Amalfi, Pompeiji, Ravello etc. If you like hiking bring your walking shoes. Not only for the view from above but also to meet a different country side and other people. In the villages above, like Nocello for instance, you can find some very nice restaurants with splendid views and excellent food. Went into La Sirenuse one evening and it was more or less completely dead. If you do your research good enough you will find some very interesting places to stay at in Positano. Be careful with Naples. The railway station is not considered to be very safe. But you will love Positano!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 06:03 AM
Alana

Hi Kay, My best friend and I spent a week in Portofino Sept. 99. The weather was grand and all the visuals breathtaking. I agree with 7SV about the hotels. We stayed at Villa Rosa across the street from La Sireneuse and loved it - simple white room with a tall ceiling and pretty fresco, french doors to a large terrace/incredible view where breakfast was served every a.m. Very helpful staff (Mario is the day manager) - they arranged for a car to pick us up in Naples at the airport (about $100 each way)Villa Rosa is 3 star and well located. Some of the higher class hotels seemed stuffy and at 50 we would have been the young ones! Take the bus to the end of the line up town and then hike to Nocello - fabulous. Congratulations on your marriage - honeymooning in Italy was a great start for my husband and me. Alana

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 07:07 AM
CASS

Kay, <BR> <BR>I visited Positano and the Amalfi Coast as a child, when we lived in Rome, and as a college student studying in Italy. I am returning in March with my husband and three children. It is beautiful and holds a special place in my heart. I have no recommendations for hotels, but I do want to say don't be put off by postings saying you need to be there a week. While a week would be lovely, if you're time is limited you can still get a taste of this beautiful corner of the world. I can think of no place better to celebrate your marriage! I wish I could have done the same.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 09:05 AM
lisa

Alana -- Are there any specific rooms at Villa Rosa that are better than others in terms of views, etc.? Also, does it have a pool?