Portugal trip for 12 in search of roots

Apr 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Portugal trip for 12 in search of roots

I have contacted the LDC and hope to dine with them, but also want to put it out there that any and all infomation will help. We are assorted family members going to Lisbon in August for 6 days and up to Montalegre for 3. I have been to Lisbon, 30 years ago as a student, and several times since then with my daughters. I am bringing some of my sisters, one of which has never been to Europe. My mother is coming too, and we are going up north to find Cervos and Cotico, her parents' towns that they left 100 years ago. We are all Americans now, but we long to know our culture and history. I speak Portuguese having learned and taught it here in the states, and my mother speaks old world Portuguese (vossa merced= voce!!!)Any ideas or tips or suggestions will be sooooo appreciated! Especially for the trip to the north, we are staying at Estalegem Montalegre and will have a car (2 cars) and drivers for travelling to the countryside. Thanks
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM

Definitely you must see Viana Do Castelo and Ponte de Lima! Gorgeous towns! You are so lucky, Portugal is so beautiful and so undiscovered!

A word of caution; crazy drivers, just let them go their merry way. By the way, around Porto I found English to be more useful than Spanish. There is not only a bit of an "attitude" towards Spain, but for centuries the city of Porto and nearby coastal cities maintained very heavy maritime commerce with England. Have fun, I so want to go back to Portugal some day!!
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Let me know if anything else comes to mind.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:03 AM

Read http://www.discoverportugal2day.com as a homework
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

I emailed the link to my sisters and we are all checking out the site. Thanks. Looking forward to your suggestions.
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Lobo (por que mau?)and anyone else.

I have studied the site for several days and am enjoying it immensely. I am wondering how we will spend the two(only!)days we have in Montalegre. You see, we leave Lisbon on Aug 8th and drive north through Coimbra and Oporto, with most activities already planned. (the university, lunch at Pedro dos Leitoes on the way, a short river cruise, a wine tasting, and the drive to Montalegre) I would like to see more of the Peneda Geres National Park, but we have to drive by or through Cervos and Cortico, because that is where my mother's roots are. Those towns are to the south and west of Montalegre, on the western side of the national park. We need to plan our outings to view and appreciate the countryside, and, as well as the local cuisine. As much as possible in 2 days, (I know , I know!)Any suggestions? Also, would it feasible to drive back to Lisbon to catch our return flight by way of Vila Real and Gravelos, inland, in order to find my father's towns? Thanks everyone.
Susana