I'd like your input for day trip suggestions from Cologne, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand Cologne is a beautiful city , but would also like to know of trips you have taken OUTSIDE. This would probably be WITH a car for us, and our friends would like to know WITHOUT a car.(different times) Any suggestions would be welcome. I know one can also take a train or fly "further afield" and return open jaw from another city such as Paris, Berlin, etc.
Denmark is not far to the north. We've been on the Rhine~~~ and a few times in central and southern Germany.
What would be some fairly close one or two day trips in the vicinity of Cologne.
(I'll do research, but PART of that research is getting ideas from YOU who have personally made these trips)
Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Monschau is a terrific little town - no train service, so a car is best. See Henri Chapelle American Cemetery just across the border in Belgium.

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Wuppertal, home of the www.wuppertaler-schwebebahn.de

Or ride the cog railway up the Siebengiberge to the dragons's rock http://www.drachenfelsbahn-koenigswinter.de

Or how about a taste of Belgium and/or Holland? Liège is an hour and a half by road, and Maastricht a half-hour north of Liège.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Aachen, of course
Hattingen, a pretty, walled town, very picturesque. Near Dusseldorf/Essen, Easy to reach by train or car
Schloss Burg (must have car) Interesting castle in nice setting
http://www.schlossburg.de/
Baden-Baden. Spend a day strolling, shopping, listening to an outdoor concert, enjoying one of the city's two main spas or the better hotel spas (daypasses available). Train is faster than driving. Direct ICE link from Cologne
Brussels
Maastricht (not my favorite place, but lots of Fodorites love it)
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:14 AM

FYI, the Schloss Burg site doesn't have an English page. This link has a description in English with photo:
http://www.answers.com/topic/schloss-burg
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM

You may go to Düsseldorf (the State Capital) and/or visit the Neanderthal Museum in Neanderthal Valley (30 min from Cologne). For further recommendations and details see
http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDet...hine_Ruhr.html
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM

When we were based in Bad Honnef (south of you), we did several daytrips: Aachen & Liège; Trier & Luxembourg; Mosel; Düsseldorf (and Köln, but you're already there!). Only place we didn't care for was Liège.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:54 AM

What about Trier and the Moseltal villages--Cochem, Winingen, etc!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Addendum to the Drachenfelsbahn post above: dress warmly, and prepare yourself for a 100-mile vista of the Rhine valley.

From Cologne Hbf, you can take the RE8 or RB27 train to Königswinter, but from the station it's a mile uphill to the foot of the rack railway. From Bonn, the #66 S-Bahn takes you to the foot of Drachenfelsstraße.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM

I'd have to go with Dusseldorf, it's a very nice city, lots to see, do, a lovely Altstadt, and a fashion capital as well, great shopping along the Konigsallee. Lovely promenade-the Ko. Since it's on the Rhein, you can take steamers on a Rhein cruise (like Koeln). There is the remains of an old castle, actually a few castles in the area.