Portugal trip advice

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:22 PM
wade

Portugal trip advice

We are planning to spend 9 nights in Portugal the first of July. We don't want to be on the road the entire time-need that pool time at the end of the day. So far, it's shaping up like this:

1st night (from airport); Obidos
2nd & 3rd nights: Ourem (at the quinta)
4th & 5th " : Coimbra
6th & 7th : Sintra or Cascais?
8th & 9th : Lisbon

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are we staying too many nights at any one of these places? Would love to see Evora but think it may be too far out of the way.
Thanks.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Daniel

Sorry, but I don´t know Quinta Ourem. I like Coimbra, but 2 days of a "Portugal in 9 days" is not necessary. 3 hours. Coimbra is a university town, one of the oldest in Europe, but the students are not there in July. You have time for Evora.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:50 PM
suzanne

I am not familiar with Ourem either, but have visited all the other places you listed plus stayed a night in Nazare (a beach town somewhat near Obidos), stayed a night at the Palace do Bussaco, and drove to/stayed 2 nights in the Algarve - all in 8 days! It was WAY too much.

Your itinerary sounds much more doable. I agree with the above poster about Coimbra - it only requires one day. However, if you wanted to go to the Palace do Bussaco, it's only an hour (from what I remember) from Coimbra, so you can take a day trip there.

Sintra, Cascais, and Lisbon are all incredible (especially Sintra - hiking to the two castles on the hill!!!) and I wish I had stayed in that area for my whole trip rather than driving around everywhere. Driving on the toll road was great, however, it seemed like if you want to get on going northbound, you could only do so from Lisbon. We took lots of windy backroads...the motion sickness factor was extremely high!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:57 PM
suzanne

PS I noticed you asked, "Sintra or Cascais?". I suggest staying in Sintra and taking a day trip to Cascais. Sintra is beautiful - wooded, mountainous, and quaint, while Cascais is a harbor / beach town (small beach)full of tourists and little shops.

There is a FABULOUS pension in Sintra where I stayed - a quintissential European manor house with beautiful gardens and a new, gorgeous outdoor pool. The hiking trails to the castles started right across the street from it. But I cant remember the name - ack! It was something very simple like Residencial...

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:14 PM
John G

I would never think of skipping Sintra, as it is very beautiful. I like Cascais alot too, but I would choose Sintra first.

I have been to Obidos, and I think staying 2 nights is excessive as there is very little to see. However, it would be nice if you just want to sit around and relax? I would rather spend the extra time in Lisbon. 2 nights in Lisbon will hardly scratch the surface of that great city.