Portugal????or Ireland???

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Melissa

Portugal????or Ireland???

I have planned to go to Portugal 8/27-9/3 and plan to stay in Cascais (hotel Albotroz)....I plan to tour Lisbon, Sintra and take a few tours of the area. BUT...I have been getting mixed reviews about Portugal. I am interested in experincing a diff. culture, seeing great architecture, beautiful scenery? Should I go somewhere else?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Amy

Portugal is beautiful! For architecture, the Manueline style (like the Jeronimos Monastery in Lisbon) is unique and beautiful, while the cliffside towns and medieval villages offer different kinds. The scenery in such places as Cabo da Roca and Sintra is magnificent. Take time to enjoy Portugal; to me it's a place to savor--that is, don't try to see everything! The tiles everywhere add a lovely touch. Try using the public transportation, especially the open-topped busses, for great views and mixing with very helpful locals.
It's not the easiest or most accessible place as far as tourist facilities are concerned, but that makes it all the more enjoyable to me because it's not a mob scene.
Ireland is lovely, too, but don't miss Portugal!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Georgine

Melissa,

I would pick Portugal over Ireland for the very reasons you explained in your posting.

My only concern is your stay at the
"Albatroz" for your entire visit. Cascais would not be my first choice for a stay of that length.

I thought the Albaroz was a good hotel, but (in my estimation) did not warrant the price of the rooms. The restaurant was wonderful ---but I felt the rooms were overpriced for the quality of the accommodations.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:44 PM
xxx

Ireland wouldn't be my first choice for viewing architecture.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:13 PM
steve

By all means, go to Portugal...You'll like Sintra, get into Lisdon as well and go to Porto if you have time.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Melanie

I would recommend going to Spain over Portugal and Ireland. Spain has beautiful architecture, museums, beaches, cathedrals, parks, palaces, nightlife, shopping and great food & wines.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:37 AM
mi

Everywhere you go, you always find different things, and I think it's a dificult choice to look for a place to enjoy vacations.
One thing is almost sure. The weather in Portugal is much better than in Ireland. It's the only certain thing you have. Then: architecture is different ( Portugal and Ireland ), the cultures are different, and the "beautiful scenery" only depend on your eyes.
In terms of costs, Portugal is cheaper than Ireland ( not much..), and in that time of year, you can go to the beach, in Portugal.
Last tip : If you want to come to Portugal, and at the same time, have a little bit of the Irish weather, or the landscapes as green as in Ireland, but also, try different foods, and great fruits, and also really different landscapes...(might sound strange...) then you should go to the AZORES ISLANDS - you asked about somewhere else...-
But most important of it all, Have fun, and a great vacations.

::: check my webpage in
www.tourist-in-portugal.web.pt :::

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:06 AM
pedro

If I was given the choice, I'd pick Ireland.

Pedro (In Lisbon)

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:15 AM
greg

How is the weather now in Lisbon? I am arriving there Saturday, staying four days...

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:20 AM
pedro

You choose wisely. After 1 month realy bad (thunderstorms, wind, rain), it is changing to an early summer beautiful weather.

"After the storm, there is always quietness" isn't it?

Enjoy your time

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:27 AM
greg

Thanks, this is good news, I saw at TV that really bad weather influenced the elections last Sunday and I was kind of worried.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:36 AM
pedro

That's right. Government felt down, but I'm not sure wheather or not the strong winds were the cause of it.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:23 AM
xxx

Melissa,

I'm afraid I would also vote against the Albatroz. Have a look at Fortazela do Guincho instead. Again, I agree with Georgine that the Albatroz is a good hotel - just not the palace that it thinks it is.

I liked Portugal and Cascais. I like Ireland. I think that the courtesy shown in both countries in exceptional. I personally will return to both, but, given your criteria, I'm not sure either match up on the grandeur stakes. For sunshine and stunning and culturally challenging architecture, Granada or Cordoba are more impressive.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:08 AM
kit

Spain trumps Ireland trumps Portugal. All are unique and lovely. By the way, the drive from Lisbon to Sevilla is not so long. Consider seeing both...

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:13 PM
ger

Melissa: I have NOT visited Portugal (so I can't say anything about it) but visit Ireland every year for two weeks (I'm from there originally) and have just returned from a weekend in Seville.

I love Ireland because its home, for the freindliness of the people, for the stunning scenery in Kerry and Connemara.
However, on balance, I MUST recommend you try Spain, particularly Andulusia because it will fulfill both your desires for stunning & unique architecture and breathtaking scenary - Seville, Cordoba, Carmona, Ronda the "pueblos Blanco"(SP?) - the white hill towns of Andulusia. You could not go wrong!

Tough choice but I don't think there is a WRONG one .. good luck!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:48 AM
Melissa

Thanks for everyones responses. This will be helpful in making my decision.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:49 AM
suzanne

I have been to both, and both are fanastic. But Portugal has better weather, food, and wine. You picked the best area in Portugal to visit...Sintra, especially, is incredible. If you like to hike, it's a great walk up to the two castles on the hill. I was just there in September and plan to go back for a long weekend sometime...I loved it SO much. I'll go back to Ireland someday, maybe when I retire. It's a country you can easily visit as a senior citizen, as everything is very accessible (and there were tons of older tourists everywhere).