Portugal or Croatia

Search

Portugal or Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal or Croatia

I plan to post this in both forums. We are in the early stages of planning a trip for myself, huband (49 and 56), and two daughters (19 and 21). We can travel either the last two weeks of June, or the last two weeks of July. It has come down to these two new locales (or Maui, where we've visited several times), and I wish I could fill out a questionnaire, and have some travel expert guide me to my perfect vacation. Short of that, I would appreciate any advice from travelers here who have been to both places.

Some basic info: I like beautiful places, scenic views with a leisurely cup of coffee on my balcony. Bellagio, to me, was simply stunning, and one of the loveliest places I've ever been. I would like part of the trip to be at a hotel on a beach, though not required for the entire trip. I'm open to moving locations once during our 10-day trip, maybe twice, and staying "in town." I like charm and uniqueness - like Taormina, Eze, Positano and Venice. I like to cap off our days at a nice restaurant, with a cocktail or glass of wine. I enjoy some shopping and culture - not one for long days at museums or galleries, but guided tours here and there are nice - half-day trips to historical sites, etc. I like a place that invites strolling after dinner. I like some degree of liveliness, but not excessive drinking and partying. I like 4-5 star hotels with pretty grounds and public areas.

Thank you.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not been to Portugal, but what you describe certainly sounds like Croatia, with two caveats. First is to be aware of the type of beaches in Croatia, which are mostly rock and pebble. Second, while the number of 4-5 star hotels may have increased since I was last there, to me one of the best parts of visiting Croatia is the apartment rental system. I just prefer having a kitchen, balcony, etc. So you may want to look accommodations.