Portugal - Itinerary Help

May 25th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Portugal - Itinerary Help

After reading and re-reading all your wonderful trip reports and extremely helpful posts from Matt and Lobo we came up with the following itinerary:

1 Wed - Lisbon, sleep in Lisbon
2 Thu - day trip to Sintra, sleep in Lisbon
3 Fri - Lisbon, sleep in Lisbon
4 Sat Rent a car at the airport and drive to Evora, sleep in Evora
5 Sun - Monsaraz, Vila Vicosa, sleep in Marvao
6 Mon - Marvao, Castelo de Vide, sleep in Marvao
Will it be difficult to find open restaurant on Monday/Sunday nights in Marvao?

7 Tue - drive to Peso da Regua via Belmonte, Guarda, sleep in Peso da Regua
8 Wed - Tour Douro Valley, Vila Real, sleep in Porto
9 Thu - Porto, sleep in Porto
10 Fri - Braga and around, sleep in Luso
11 Sat - day touring Coimbra & Bucaco forest, sleep in Luso
12 Sun - Batalha, Tomar, sleep in Tomar
13 Mon - Obidos, sleep in Lisbon
14 Tue - Flight home around noon

Any feedback you can provide on this plan would be appreciated.
Jun 14th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Dear Travfirst.
Sorry for this late reply, but the first time I read this post, I didn't associated the screen name with the person.
2 days in Lisbon is ok, if you have your time quite organized. The 1st of Matt's post (the original Things to do in and around Lisbon) gives you a detailed description about what's worth to see. I think 3 days would be better but 2 days is ok.
The Alentejo section of you itinerary it's ok. You miss Arraiolos (the tapistry village). Check the map, maybe you can do a small diversion in the day 4 and visit Arraiolos on your way to Evora. Arraiolos Pousada chappel is worthwhile to see.
Vila Viçosa Braganza Palace is very interesting, but I'm affraid it offers tours in Portuguese only. Alternatively and as it's a Sunday, maybe we can drive there to meet you and offer a tour ourselves. I'm not sure the palace is opened on Sundays, I'll check it for you.
Near Vila Viçosa there is a cute walled town called Alandroal. It has restaurant "A Maria", the high point of any trip. In your way up to Marvao there is another litlle village called Vila Fernando, near Elvas, with an interesting small restaurant. Both these places offer very authentic Alentejan cuisine. To go to "A Maria" on a Sunday it's wise to make reservations. I'm sure in Marvao and Castelo de Vide you can find places to eat. My very favourite spot in Marvao is an outside restaurant (esplanade?) near the walls and the main gate, overlooking the Spanish planes up to the horizon. Don't get too late to dinner. 7:30 pm to 8pm is ok all over Portugal.
I hope you are neither vegetarian nor have food restrictions, since Alentejan cuisine is very much based on pork or lamb, along with matured red wines.
In day 11 and according to your availability, you may want to see a winery. I recommend Caves Aliança in Sangalhos (http://www.caves-alianca.pt). They offer you a short visit to the caves, with a short explanations of production process and in their shop you may purchase top quality wines by a ridiculous (cheap) prices. The area a litlle south from Sangalhos (Bairrada) is the country of Suckling Pigs with a huge concentration of restaurants aligned along the old Porto to Lisbon road. Sucling pig is leitao (plural: leitoes). One of the most known restaurants is "Pedro dos Leitoes". Tradition says leitoes should be eaten with local sparkling wine. If you try this combination, allow yourself a litlle rest before driving again.
That's all I can remember now. Any queries, do not hesitate to ask.

Jun 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your valuable information. I will go over everything tonight or this weekend.

I could not find Arraiolos on the map, but I just did some web search and now know were exactly it's located. Will try to visit Arraiolos on D4.
We definitely want to visit the winery on D11. I hope Mr. Travfirst will not decide to buy their entire inventory . I will email them for hours and exact location.
Looking forward to have a meal at "A Maria". Lamb, pork and red wine -sounds wonderful! I have a feeling we will want to stay there forever!
Jun 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM

marking page, Thanks
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM

some info on the central region around Tomar on the gekko website
http://www.gekkoportugal.com/central%20portugal.htm