Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal in late November-suggestions please!

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 09:55 AM
Alli

Hi! A girlfriend and I are leaving for Portugal the last week in November and we'll be there for a week. We fly into Lisbon and know nothing about the country, although we've both travelled in Europe before. What should we do and what do you suggest for getting around, staying, etc.?

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 04:21 PM
Georgine

Alli,

I tried to e-mail you several extensive documents I've written on travel to Portugal. Our trip was over Thanksgiving of 1999. Everything came back as "undeliverable".

Please e-mail me personally if you are interested in the information. (It would take too long to retype everything --plus this forum doesn't allow for extended replies.)

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Marion

Alli,

I did a weekend trip to Lisbon with a girlfriend last November. It's quite a small city and very friendly (believe me, the men can be VERY friendly! Unfortunately not overly attractive!).

The best places to go in the evening are Bairro Alto and Docas (pronounced 'dock-ash')- we actually preferred the latter. Food is variable but OK. The good news is that clubs are free for women and the tendency is to visit several in one night. Cabs are cheap (so don't worry about exactly where you stay) and it certainly felt very safe.

It's very hilly so take some good shoes (I didn't, my friend did - she laughed at me a lot!). Make sure you go to the castle.

And the ABSOLUTE must is to have one of their custard tarts (I can't remember what they are called)- in fact, have several and wash them down with a good vintage Port!!

Have a great holiday!

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Lesley

By the end of four or five days, you will have seen everything there is to see in Lisbon (it's very small) so you might want to take a few rail trips. We took the train to Cascais which is a fishing/holiday town to the North of Lisbon. We walked back along the seafront and picked the train up again in Estoril. We also took the train out to Sintra which is a pretty town in the hills. I'm sure you'll find them both in any guide book. Because neither of us spoke Portuguese, I wanted to book a coach tour but my sister insisted we took the train. I think both journeys cost something in the region of 90p ($1.40?) return! On the journey to Cascais, an elderly but very smarm man, hearing our English, started to talk to us in impeccable English. Told us all about Lisbon, the sights we were passing, how the Spanish king had been brought up in exile in Estoril. Had we gone on the tourbus, we would have been totally divorced from the local people, and you can't complain about the price can you ($1.40 vs $50).

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 01:16 PM
Lesley

That's SMART not smarm. Sorry.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 08:06 PM
Pedro

I´m spanish but I have travelled a lot all around Portugal. If you have Lisbon as your main centre, you can explore easily from there:

-Sintra and its palaces
-Serra da Arrabida and its views of Troia peninsula.
-Guincho beach and Cabo da Roca.
-Batalha and AlcobaÇa
-Fatima caves
-Nazaré and its Sitio
-Evora, the old town
-Obidos, beautiful medieval town.
-Tomar, the monuments

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Betty Ann

I have stayed at Hotel Metropole, on Rossio Square (one of the main city center squares) in Lisbon in Nov '98 and Nov '99. Great location, had a room overlooking the square with a view of the castle. Rate in '99 was 100.US for a twin or double. The front dest staff is very helpful. The main train station is also on Rossio Square, where you get trains to Sintra, Cascais, Estoril, etc. We drove to Obidos, a wonderful, old, walled village but I think you can get there by train as well. I hope you enjoy Portugal, it is one of my favorite places.