Portugal experts:

Search

Portugal experts:

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal experts:

We are planning a trip to Portugal in October, and are looking for a town/area to rent an apartment for a week or so. We want to stay in a small to medium size town that is bicycle friendly, in an area that is bike friendly - fairly flat, quiet back roads, nice scenery. We were thinking Evora, but have never been to Portugal, so are open to any suggestions.
We will also spend a few days in Lisbon, so any recommendations for neighborhoods, small hotels, or apartments would also be welcome.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM

I've done my share of riding in Europe and a few great cycling trips in Portugal. In general people are bike friendly in Europe, but most road designs are not. I also don't think of Portugal as flat. You should be ready for hills even around Evora. Rolling hills can take a toll on the legs after a few hours. I think the best bike routes are in the hills or mountains, these areas are more rural with less traffic.
When I arrive in Lisbon I stay in Cascais for the first few days at the Dom Carlos Pension. There is a bike path heading West from the center and ending at the beach. Oceans views most of the way. Riding in and around Sintra is very pleasent as well.
Are you bringing your bikes?
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Viana Do Castelo.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Tico, thanks for your input. We were hoping to find a medium sized village with a bike rental shop from which we could do some 1-2 hour excursions. We live in a fairly hilly area, so modest hills are ok, but we are not looking for tour de France type terrain!
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 03:12 AM

zootsi,

I don't recall how the roads in Evora are for riding. I was there in April 08 but was driving. I found having a Michelin atlas(1:350,000)very helpful when cycling. I make color photos to carry when on the road. Stay on the backroads.
Evora is a very special place, I hope to go back for a visit in January.