Portugal; Costa Alentejana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Portugal for 17 days leaving 9/24. I am thinking about spending 2 nights along the coast in the region South of Lisbon and North of the Algarve. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where that should be? I have a car rented after 3 nights in Lisbon. I will be driving to Porto from this destination. I have read through many forums and no one seems to mention this area?

Thank you so much in advance, as I have learned much about the other areas in Portugal.

Lizzz
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Last year we spent several days on the Costa Vicentina in Vila Nova de Milfontes. It is a small vacation village not far from Sagres and the Algarve.
We rented a small apartment in Patios da Vila. They also have a sister property which is closer to the water although this property is about 100m from the beach.
We liked the area very much. It is a little hike to Porto from there but not difficult, I don't believe.
You are correct that not many people mention this area but we very much loved the surroundings.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

I am often incorrect.....but I appreciate the reply. I am happy to know the area is lovely. Are there any nice hotels in the area?

Thank you
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Of course, we traveled around the area quite a bit. But as I mentioned we rented a small apartment. There is one hotel in Vila Nova that i remeber and it is the Castillo. It is in a very good location and is supposed to have good meals for residents. It was just more than we usually spend on rooms. But for a splurge it would be great.
There is two other persons at least that I know who are also familiar with the area and post here. I think that you must keep bumping this to the top trying to catch their eye as posts that are not answered right away are pushed down quickly and might get missed.
Mostly the area is very beautiful along the coast. And also not far away in Beja, there are ruins.
Let us hope that you will get another response.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Sorry for the typos. I picked Submit instead of Preview but at least it brings this to the top.
You will love Portugal.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM

I have stayed in the apartments at the Duna Parque in Vila Nova de Milfontes, and it was a very good location and comfortable without being fancy.

I have a few places on my "want to visit" list, but none are right on the beach. The Monte do Adail is about 5 miles from Vila Nova de Milfontes, http://www.montedoadail.com/monte_adail_ing.html and the Herdade do Brejo da Amada http://www.wonderfulland.com/wonder2...indexhouse.htm is close to the Troia peninsula with its deserted dunes and beaches. A bit further south, near Zambujeira do Mar is the Herdade do Touril, http://www.herdadedotouril.pt/ I think all of these places look very welcoming and comfortable.

If you want to be right on the beach, I think Sher's suggestion is a good one. Or you could go further south to Zambujeira, another village right on the coast, but I don't know the names of any hotels right in the village.

Of course, if you are going from Lisbon to Porto, you could also pick a beach town north of Lisbon and reduce your driving a bit. There are lots of pretty places on the northern coast as well.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM

We also visited Zambujeira and really liked this village also. But we tend to like small places that are quiet and scenic
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

I made a reservation at Monte do Adail. I will report upon my return. I am spending 17 days in Portugal and I will visit north of Lisbon while staying in an apartment in Sintra.

Thank you so much!

Lizz