Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal - beach resort after busy tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to drive one way from Porto dropping the car off at Faro airport 10 days later.
I have most of my itinerary planned; Braga, Porto, Obidos, Lisbon but want to finish the trip by the beach relatively close to Faro. I

I like the sound of both Tavira and Lagos and wondered if anyone could recommend one or the other.
By the end of the trip I won't be so interested in sightseeing, I am looking more for a picturesque and relaxing town with a good choice of restaurants.

Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:39 AM

Hi Anna. There is a large post here: Things To Do In and Around Lisbon that you might find of some interest.

Have a wonderful trip. I haven't been to the Algarve so I cannot suggest a town. In fact, if you click on my name, I asked last year about the Algaarve and beach areas.

Also, some of the posters on the above mentioned topic have some interesting ideas and could probably give you some tips about the Tavira/Lagos area. Just click on their names on any old post and they will come up.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Sher, thanks, I have read all the info about my other stops, but haven't been able to find much info at all about eithe Lagos or Tavira. All Fodors writers seem to concentrate on Central/Northern Portugal.

I have ordered a guide to Portugal so maybe that will help, but I always prefer personal advice.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:42 AM

We enjoyed Luz, a beach resort area, when we were there last July. It is close to Lagos which has lots to do and see. There are many restaurants in the area and several nice ones at Praia da Luz.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:09 AM

Hi Anna. We are staying in Tavira in July. My S&BIL have stayed in several places in the Algarve before deciding to purchase a condo in Tavira. They picked that area for the tranquil atmosphere. We can't wait to see for ourselves.

From what I have read, Tavira is considered to be the most picturesque and peaceful in the Algarve. Lagos has more nightlife (young crowd) and is described as a popular resort in the Algarve.

The two guidebooks that I purchased to plan our trip are "Fodor's Exploring Portugal" and "DK Eyewitness Top 10 Algarve".

Have a great trip, wherever you decide to stay. Don't forget to report back!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:20 AM

Anna. I have two guide books, Cadogan and Thomas Cook and both give very high marks to Tavira.
We did stay near the sea on our last trip but on the Silver Coast and this year we are staying on the part of the Alentjo that touches the sea.
At the times we visit, it is doubtful that we could actually enjoy being in the water as I think it would be a little too cool for us. The first time was in late April and now will be in late October. But we enjoyed sitting outside above the sea and just looking and of course walking on the beach.
Enjoy your visit.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:10 AM

In Rick Steves' most recent Portugal guide, he has a nice amount of info on Lagos and Tavira. That should be some help to you....
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM

Praia da Luz. >>>
I can totally recommend Bella Vista hotel at Praia Roche. Spend a "sneaked" few days on a trip cause it was SO perfect we couldn't leave!. It has been some time ago, early 90s but magnificent and reasonable. Magnificent rooms overlooking sea/coast.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM

Sorry but forgot to say this beach is the most beautiful beach I have seen...anywhere! (And I ahave seen them all over the world and USA so I know a magnificent beach!!LOL)
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM

Again, sorry so dis-organized...but did check Google to see if still in business and beware there is a modern very average hotel with name REAL Bela Vista...find the one I discussed Bela Vista..small 14 rooms, once was a mansion but hotel for 50 years...
Traveler rating:
Portimao: Bela Vista: "Jewel by the Sea!"
Nov 27, 2005: [email protected], Lynchburg, VA USA

View larger photos

Visited the Algarve late October 2005. Stayed at the Hotel Bela Vista. This is a magnificent small hotel (14 rooms). Built in 1917 as a private residence. The Bela Vista is a time capsule. It will take you back in time to days of European aristocracy taking pilgrimages to the sea. From the Moorish tower, dark wood paneling, Portugese blue tiles, sitting room with harpsichord, breakfast room overlooking the sea, to a breath taking view of the sea from your room, this hotel will leave you with memories unobtainable from the typical 500 room modern monsters. The staff was very helpful, answered all questions, and was well-informed on the origin and history of the Bela Vista. I hope the Bela Vista never changes, at least not until I get back. I even know what room I must have!

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM

Just wanted to agree with StLSusan - the beach at Praia Da Rocha really is stunning. We didn't get a chance to go inside the Bella Vista but it did look charming from outside.

I'm afraid that the town itself isn't particularly pretty, however.

Jim

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your tips and advice everyone.
I'll check out some of the books you mention - I think i'm edging towards Tavira at the moment.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 04:09 AM

i stayed in tavira for 10 days about 2 years ago. there are few hotels in town so the number of tourists is somewhat restricted (although i was there in Nov, well outside the high season). it is extremely relaxing and a great place to just eat and drink.

everyone has their preferences but i would not describe it as beautiful in the traditional sense. there are salt flats and disused fish processing factories about town. i think it adds to the character but others might disagree. the town is split in two by a little river...there is a semi-pedestrian bridge that makes it easy to go from one side to the other (restaurants and bars are on both sides).

there is not really a beach within walking distance of the town centre. this did not bother us but it might put others off. the beach out beyond the salt flats is ok but if you are a beach person, you might be disappointed.

by the way you describe your needs at the end of your post, i would say that tavira is perfect for you.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Hi - I haven't been in Portugal for a couple of years, but in 2003 spent a few weeks in the Algarve in Albuferia. It is a pretty wonderful town, with both an old and new area. We stayed in a hotel right on the beach in "old" Albuferia. Wow - the history, the people, the food! When we wanted a more lively time we would head over to "new" Albuferia as it is full of clubs and shopping. The food is amazing, you'll have to have the Cataplana (seafood pot/specialty) it's totally worth the money! It's an absolutely beautiful town, and walking along the beach is just amazing. Beautiful. If I could sway you to check out Albuferia...if memory serves correct it is about a 30 minute drive from Faro.