Portofino to Rome 4 days, M. I. Nutz ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a 7day Trafalgar Tour to Milano,Como, Verona,Venice,Sienna,SanG.&Florence. I have a car for 4 days. I just like to take the picture,my wife is avid shopper. Pls comment on Itinerary. Sat Apr4,do Pisa Tower,Portofino,and Cinque Terre.Sun Arezzo market,Assisi,H.Inn Foligno. Mon. Spoleto & Nite Tour Rome. Tue. the Vatican & Rome. Is this Realistic ?
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:24 PM

U.R. definitely nutz. Surely you're not serious, Peter. In 11 days you're going to do Milano, Como, Verona, Venice, Sienna, SanG, Florence, Pisa, Portofino, CT, Arezzo, Assisi, Foligno, Spoleto, and Rome. This must be some kind of record! Is it possible? Maybe. Is it realistic? Oh no.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

So much to see, so little time,thanks Betsy. Bus tour is 3 nites Verona &amp; 3 + Sat. Florence. First timers and want to get flavor for future. Priorities-Arezzo market,Vatican, Pisa tower, Assisi,Forum. Could you suggest alt. schedule for 4 days? Should we forget Portofino,CinqueT;<BR>is nite bus tour a good sampler of Rome?
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Oh whew, Peter! So glad you're not going to try to do it all this trip. I've never been on an organized tour, but I understand that the pace is pretty fast, so you'll probably be pooped when it's over. That being the case, I'd do one of two things: take the train to Rome and see the sights there OR rent a car and find a base in Umbria from which to venture to Arezzo, Assisi, etc. Take a look at Malvarina (www.malvarina.com), which a B&amp;B is close to Assisi and a very relaxing spot.<BR><BR>A lot of first timers try to pack too much in and end up frantic and exhausted. I think you'll enjoy the trip much more if you spend more time at fewer sites. Check out www.slowtrav.com, a non-commercial website with a lot of good info about Italy. The philosophy of most of the travelers on the site is that &quot;less is more.&quot;<BR><BR>Other Fodorites may give you their opinions, too. Keep us posted on your plans.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Topping for Peter
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Bets, you're the Best, great suggestions,I sent queery to Malvarina, looks great. I think you convinced me that we can't hob-nob in Portofino, but will miss the Cinque T train &amp; Pisa. Thats the dilemma-1 or 2 days in Tusacany/Umbria vs 3 days in Rome? Also advise, Stressa for half day or Padua? THANX !
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Bets, you're the Best, great suggestions,I sent queery to Malvarina, looks great. I think you convinced me that we can't hob-nob in Portofino, but will miss the Cinque T train &amp; Pisa. Thats the dilemma-1 or 2 days in Tusacany/Umbria vs 3 days in Rome? Also advise, Stressa for half day or Padua? THANX !
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:37 PM

There are so many wonderful sights, experiences, gelati, in Italy! This makes it so hard to decide what to see and do. But remember that Italy is likely to be there for a while, so you can start to plan your next trip.<BR><BR>If you decide on Rome this trip, you could do Tuscany and Umbria next time. Or if you go to Umbria this time, you could see Tuscany and Rome next time. My favorite area in Italy is Southern Tuscany. And then there's the Amalfi Coast and CT and the lakes and...you're right--so much to see, so little time.<BR><BR>Sorry, I haven't been to Stressa or Padua, so I can't advise you. Maybe someone else will chime in.