Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portofino OR Positano ???Anyone been to both?

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 08:23 PM
diane michlig

Having trouble with my trip. Positano is on my list but so far away from Tuscany. Going to France and wondering if I should substitue Portofino for Positano? Please somebody give me some perspective?
Thanks for your help.
Diane

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 03:33 AM
Rose

My husband and I were in Porofino in August last year and feel it is one of the most beautiful spots we have ever stayed at. We have not been to Positano, but have been told that it is also very beautiful, and pobably would be one of our next trips. In Portofino we stayed at the Picolo Hotel and it was well situated and in the mornings you would look out of your window towards the sea and see all the ocean liners and yachts berthed in the bay. It is a beautiful site. From Portofino we would take day trips to areas close by with the ferry and in the evenings we would dine at the many restuarants surrounding the bay. One day we hired our own little motor boat and spend the whole day out at sea, which was lovely to explore your own route and stop and swim in the water whenever you got too hot. One of the most beautiful holidays we have ever been to. Should you want anymore information please e-mail me and I will gladly try to help and answer any queries.
Rose

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 04:04 AM
Patrick

This is a tought one. Yes, have been to both and think I prefer Positano. Portofino is quaint and pretty if it isn't jammed with day trippers off one of the big cruise ships. On the other hand, the sight of all those buildings hanging from the hills of Positano is even more stunning. Both offer things to do for a couple of days, boat trips or drive to other towns, but Positano has more restaurants and activity. Actually Taormina in Sicicly would be favorite of the three --but that doesn't help you. I would say given your plans to go from Tuscany to France, I would opt for Portofino and save Positano and Taormina for a future trip when you can concentrate more on Southern Italy.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Jeff

Diane, I visited both on the same trip (along with St. Tropez in France). First of all, don't get too stressed since both of them are amazing. Patrick's advise is good if you can get back to Italy in the near future. If I absolutely had to go to one or the other, Positano may get a slight, slight edge. Each place also has two of the nicest hotels in Europe -- in Portofino I highly recommend the Splendido and in Positano the San Pietro is top-notch. Le Sirenuse (spelling?) in Positano is also very nice. All of these hotels are very expensive but are absolutely fantastic. Some of best meals I have ever eaten in my European travels were had in these Hotel restaurants (Splendido and San Pietro). Have a great time.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 07:12 PM
Laurie

Diane-

Although Portofino is closer to where you'll be in Tuscany, you really shouldn't miss Positano. I've done a great deal of travelling, and have to say that Positano was one of the most beautiful places I have EVER been! We stayed at the Hotel Miramare for about $200 Amer. dollars a night. The place is to die for! The view from our room was indescribable! Make sure you pay for aan ocean view. It's spectacular. Positano is quieter and quainter than Portofino and much less touristy! If you book the Miramare, ask for Nicola (the Manager and, I think, part owner). Ask for room# 209 or 210 (the best in the house). Tel 089/875002
Have a wonderful time! Italy's onew of my most favorite places in the world!

Laurie

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 08:12 PM
diane michlig

I am thankful for this forum. I am definitely going to Positano. I think I would feel deprived if I didn't get there since when I thought of Italy that is really what I thought of. One last question for the forum. I am planning on staying in monasteries the whole trip. Now should I break this pattern for Positano. The monastery is in the countryside. Although I could stay in one in Ravello that has great views. Please answer quick as I suppose the hotels will now be booked if I decide to go that route. Thank you all for helping out...... Diane

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 05:57 AM
Carol

Hi Diane,

Definitely break the pattern and splurge on a Positano hotel with a terrace and a room with a view within easy walking distance of the town.