Search

Portofina hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Deb

Portofina hotel

Looking for 1 night accomodation in Portofino area for mid-Oct. Any suggestions for this or a better spot between Genoa andn Pisa on the coast??

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Stay in Santa Margherita--3 miles from Portofino and more accessible. The Hotel Continental is my choice, but the Laurin is also nice and well located.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Bob

A second on the Continental in SML. Portofino is very expensive and you can walk there from SML if you want to visit. There is much more to do in SML and the views are just as wonderful.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:20 PM
judy

Be sure to take the courtesy shuttle up to the Splendido Hotel in Portofino. Unbelievably gorgeous views. Have a beer and chips and olives while admiring the view. Best lunch I ever had. Walk down.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Patrick

For a longer stay I'd agree with Santa Margherita, but for one night -- I say go for Portofino. It is its prettiest at night. And you certainly wouldn't want to have dinner and drinks around the harbour in Portofino then walk that road to Santa Margherita!!!<BR>Of course, the Splendido is number one if budget is no problem, and personally I'd probably opt for their second, newer facility right down on the harbour (must admit I haven't seen it though).<BR>If budget is a concern there is a delightful little three star about a block back from the harbor called the Eden.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Deb

Thanks for info about SML..any hints on easiest way to book any of these hotels?? Leaving in less than 2 weeks and need to firm up this last detail.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:25 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

www.venere.com Good luck !

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Mel

Just returned from Portofino/Santa Margherita for a quick weekend (we're Americans living in S. France for a few months). I'd like to thank you fellow Fodorites for the information you provided. We had a beautiful afternoon in Portofino; hardly any tourists there and the weather could not have been more perfect! We stayed at the Hotel Laurin in S. Marg. which was great (four stars and cost less than the 3-star Eden in Port.); wonderful location on the harbor and very helpful staff. Noli was a great little stop on the way down--very picturesque. And Camogli another great stop on the way back. As for food -- just stop in someplace and take a chance; we did and ate very, very well. Or ask your concierge for their recommendation. Happy travels!