Porto Hotel- Recomendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello we will be travelling to Portugal Sept 22-Oct 12 2022.
Spending our first 5 nights in Porto, any recommendations on Hotels, near the river, I am looking at Eurostars Porto Douro?
Any reviews or other suggestions.?
thanks,
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 07:25 AM

Why do you want to stay near the river? I'm asking because it means you will have to face hills everyday if you want to visit things at the city centre. Besides that, end of September/beg October are still good months for mosquitoes living the time of their lifes, partying everyday. So, don't forget repelent.

If it is for the views, make sure you have a room with a view to the river, not only in this Hotel but in all the others located there.

Helena
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. So maybe near the river not a good idea. What area would you suggest? Our first trip to Portugal and have just started planning our itinerary.
Your recommendations will be most welcome. We are happily retired, in reasonable shape, although I have knee problems.
Thanks again.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 08:54 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We loved our stay at Eurostars Porto Centrol - not near the river, but you can walk there in about 15 minutes or so.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 02:15 PM

Well, if you want a Hotel, instead of having a true experience with locals, I would say those in Rua das Flores (Porto Bay, Casa da Compamhia, Pestana Pousada). Also very well located: Eurostars where Melqn stayed, and the others: Porto Theatre, Royal Bridges, Pestana Brasileira. If you want a more genuine experience, with ancient things (like the way employes dress), then it would be "Grande Hotel do Porto", or "Hotel Aliados". If you want more like a local thing, you cannot go wrong with guesthouses: InPatio is the 1st to come to my mind, but also Ribeiredge (it has a lift, a very important thing), Belmonte52, Myo and Maria da Sé. All very well located, near the river, but also near the upper side of the city, and no mosquitoes (only seagulls, that cry our loud).
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 06:47 PM

We loved our stay at Vila Galé Porto Ribeira where our room looked out to the river. Room was not large but more than adequate, with nice bathroom. Breakfast in the lobby was lovely, and staff were uniformly friendly and helpful. There's a great restaurant a couple doors away that prepares fresh fish on a grill set up riverside. We used streetcars and uber to get to more distant sites but had no problems getting about.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have booked the Eurostar Porto Centro, it looks great. This is tremendous resource for help planning our trip.
I will keep reading all the trip reviews to get more ideas.
thank you