Porte de Versailles

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porte de Versailles

Has anyone stayed at the Residence Paris XV in the Porte de Versailles area? I traded my timeshare for it so I couldn't pass it up. I know it's not in "the heart of Paris" but all the sights should be easy to get to by metro. Anybody who has stayed at this hotel or in this area, I'd love some feedback.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I'm not familiar with the place, but the Porte de Versailles is well served by the Métro, so you can easily get anywhere from there. That particular spot is best known for the huge exhibition center found there, which hosts an endless stream of conferences, salons, shows, and exhibitions all year long; the most popular are the Salon International de l'Agriculture; usually around February or March, and the Foire de Paris, usually around May.

Any reference to Porte in Paris, by the way, usually refers to some spot along the rough oval that marks the official city limits (and is delimited by a large beltway, the boulevard Périphérique). So if someone says "Porte de X," you know it's somewhere along this oval. Porte de Versailles is on the south edge of the oval, and is so called because it used to be the main entry point to the city from Versailles.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Is this known to be a safe area?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I spend a lot of time in Paris and always stay with my friend in the 15th (rue de la Croix Nivert) which is very close to Porte de Versailles. We often return home late at night by bus and get off at Porte de Versailles and walk from there. It seems safe and quiet there at night. Besides being only a few minute to the center city by Metro, later this year the first segment of the new Peripherique Tram is scheduled to begin operation in this area. It will eventually circle the entire city and connect with all the Metro lines along the city's perimeter.

Larry J
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Larry! That makes me feel a lot better about my choice. Anyone else with helpful info/advice? I'd love to hear from you!