brian

Pope still do Sunday's?

Does the Pope still Sunday Mass open
to the public? Where can I find out about
scheduled services?
Brian

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:33 AM
Keith

Brian, my wife and I just returned from Rome last week. We happened to stop in at St. Peter's Cathedral on a Saturday morning around 11:00am and saw the Pope up fron giving Papal blessing to dignataries and the like. Sunday high mass is held at 10:30am and I don't believe the Pope does it every Sunday. The Vatican has it's own website I believe, check there. Have a great time.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:59 PM
Maurice

Scan this web site for Santa Susanna (or ask Google). The English-language church & service for Rome can usually arrange for tickets for the Wed. audiences, etc. over the internet. (They did a good job for us, Sept. 12th!). This gets you seating inside the reserved seating, so you are closer than 400 feet from the front. (We were about 100 feet from the front.)

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 04:17 AM
xxxxxxyyyyy

I think he should retire. It is so sad to see him safering like that. His health is really bad and we still want him to do things for us. Why?

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 05:50 AM
abc

xxxxxyyyyyy,
Unfortunately, the college of cardinals which elects each pope believes the papal office is for the lifetime of each cardinal who ascends the Papal throne. I agree that the present pope's various ills are difficult to watch; however, the pope himself has said he believes it makes him more human, and compassionate. The man himself apparently believes his work here is not yet done, and I think he'll not willingly relinquish the seat of the papacy until or unless he's convinced that his work here IS done.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 07:03 AM
Marianna

Hi Brian,
I live and work in Rome as a tour guide and am always at the Vatican. When the Pope is in Rome he generally does a blessing from his apartment windows (visible from the Piazza) at mid-day on Sundays. At this time of the year he does his papal audience inside the basilica itself (rather than out in the Piazza as he does in the warmer months) on Wednesday mornings.
The Pope does very few masses other than Christmas and at Easter and for special occassions.
Please note too that at this time of the year the Vatican Museums close their doors for last entry at 12.30pm and you then have another hour before you have to exit. however they often start closing the doors to the Sistine Chapel as early as 1.15pm and it is at the end of your visit in the Museums.
Brian if you would to email me direct I can refer you to my web site where you will find a "link" page and you can connect to the Vatican Site for information, you can also find the weather in Rome, train and airport information, museum info and bookings etc.
I would be more than happy to help you with any other general information you may need as well.
Regards
Marianna

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 09:27 AM
John

We were in Rome on Sunday (11/25) when the Pope led the service that installed four new saints. He said a 2-hour Mass that began at 10 a.m. He doesn't say (public) Mass every Sunday but when he is in town he comes to his window (to the right of the square when facing St. Peters) and delivers a blessing to the crowd below. Also on Sunday at 4 pm there is a Mass said at the altar to the rear center of St. Peters. It's not the Pope, but a majestic setting nonetheless and Mass was only 45 minutes long! As for the pope, I think he's pretty courageous.