Ponza - Travel and Accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Ponza and can describe their experiences there? I will be staying in Rome this spring and would like to go there for a day trip.

Is it fairly easy to get to, and if I wanted to stay overnight, can anyone recommend a good place to stay (under $100/night, basic and clean, easy to get to w/o a car)?

Thank you in advance,

Tonia
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:54 AM

I TRIED to go to Ponza a couple of times, but was unsuccessful. There are boats from Anzio, but when I was there the times listed on the schedule bore little relationship to the times the boats felt like leaving. I recall that there were supposedly two boats a day in mid-summer, one mid-morning, and one in mid-afternoon. The trip takes about 1.5-2 hours. I can't comment on accommodations because we didn't get there. I'm still sorry to have missed the experience because an Italian friend of ours raved about spending time with his family there.
On the other hand, we thoroughly enjoyed Anzio - very pretty, vibrant town.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:08 AM

Ponza is lovely but I think it is too much of a trek for a daytrip from Rome. There are boats from Anzio and Formia, and in summer the fastest boat (55 min.) is the hydrofoil from San Felice di Circeo. That boat leaves at 8:45a.m. and the return boat leaves Ponza at 5:10pm. So if you can get to San Felice very early, hard to do without a car, you could possibly do a daytrip but it would be very tiring. Some hotels include Gennarino a Mare (also has a good restaurant)and the Bellavista. Orestorante is the best restaurant on the island. You can hire a boat at the main port to take you around the island for the day or simply walk to the spectacular Chiaia di Luna beach.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I'll have to see if I want to go there for a day.
It might be too much of a trek. Anzio though sounds really nice, maybe I will do that instead. I'm hoping it's reachable by train from the Termini station.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Trains leave Termini for Anzio at least once and hour and the trip is an hour or less.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!