Pompeii Safety? Crime?

Search

Pompeii Safety? Crime?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pompeii Safety? Crime?

Is Pompeii safe to stay at for a couple of evenings. I am going to be staying at The Hotel Amleto. Any advise would help. Cheers.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Well, the last time Mt. Vesuvius had a serious eruption was 79 AD so your chances look pretty good. If you are worried about crime I really don't know as I and most people daytrip there on the train from Sorrento or Naples. It's only 30 minutes by train to Sorrento; why not stay there where there is so much more to see and do and safety is not an issue. Hundreds of shops, nice restaurants, hotels, ferry to Ischia or Capri etc etc. Have a great time whatever you decide.<BR><BR>Larry J
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM

If you're careful, it's fine. But be careful, just as you would be anywhere in Italy. (The shop owners are aware of the dangers and will remind you to hide your valuables before you step out in the street.) We used Pompeii as our base for trips to the museum in Naples, the villa at Oplonti, etc., and it was very convenient. Two train stations for local and regional travel. (Incidentally, there are two excellent, not cheap, restaurants in Pompeii we treated ourselves to -- La Situla and the more formal Presidente. They were recommended by an acquaintance who spent about 6 weeks at the Amleto on business.) My traveling companion had dealt with the Amalfi Coast last year and didn't want the hassles again, so we never went to Sorrento, and I can't comment on that.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM

If your budget allows, you might also want to check out Il Principe restaurant, of which I have read some excellent reports.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM

I'd suggest staying in Sorrento if possible. Some of the neighborhoods around Pompeii are a little seedy.