Pompeii and vicinities exploring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we’re coming from Positano after a week on the Alfami coast and heading to Rome, but want to visit Pompeii and maybe Hercluleum. Would we stay in Solerno and day trip to Pompeii or stay in Pompeii to catch easy trains to Rome? Any suggestions for English speaking guides for the area?

also looking for tips on the right trains/busses/private cars to get from Solerno to Pompeii or Rome.

Thanks in in advance for your help.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 05:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest staying in Sorrento to take the local train, the Circumvesuviana, that runs from there to Naples. It passes by both Pompeii & Herculaneum & connects also with the train to Rome from Naples. I enjoyed Sorrento very much during the several days I was there.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. That’s what we were thinking. Since we’ll be bussing in from Positano, do you have any recommendations for a place to stay for 2 nights or a general area in Soerento to look for accommodations?
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The main part of Sorrento isn't very big. You can walk to/from the train/bus station from many hotels. What time of year? What's your budget? Try searching on www.booking.com for your dates and budget.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 08:39 PM
kja

Are you referring to Salerno or Sorrento? Either could work, but you need to know which you mean to make your plans.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 09:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Assuming Sorrento, I stayed at Casa Astarita, a B&B in the center of town, easy walk from the train and I think that's where your bus will come in also. https://www.casastarita.com/en/ It's set back off the street so quiet although it was December and quiet anyway. The place is immaculate, pretty & comfortable, the staff warm, breakfast good, location excellent, modest in price. It was a few years ago so do check current reviews.