Pompei to Amalfi

Jul 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Pompei to Amalfi

I need some help on how to handle one night and Pompei. I have reservations in Amalfi for Aug 23-27 than back to Naples to fly to Milan. I arrive in Naples Aug 22.in the morning from JFK Should I go directly to Pompei from the airport that morning to see it and spend the night in Naples? Or go to Pompei and directly to Amalfi? Or spend a day in Naples next day drive to Amalfi stopping at Pompei? I'm a bit confused on what would be the best way to handle this day/night! Any suggestions? Thank you!
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM

Are you picking your car up at the airport when you arrive?
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM

Do not go directly from your overnight flight. In August, Pompeii is going to be a blast furnace, without any shade. Besides, it is several square miles wide (it was a city, and still is, albeit without people or vegetation) and you just cannot do that to yourself.

You need to look at a map because Pompeii is not on the way to Amalfi.

What I would recommend is that when you arrive at the airport in Napoli, you take a car service to Pompeii. Spend the night in Pompeii. The next morning, leave your luggage at the hotel, tour Pompeii, and then pick up your luggage and take the train to Salerno. From there take the bus to Amalfi, or the ferry if there is one available.

Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. Maybe we should pass on Pompei this trip since it is so hot in August? I am not picking up a car. I wanted to hire a driver to pick us up and take it to Amalfi or from the airport get a cab and go to Naples for a night and the next day get a driver to go to Amalfi. I was also wondering if I could take the ferry to Capri from Naples and then go to Amalfi from there.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:59 AM

Yes, you can ferry to Capri and then to Amalfi. You might want to ask somebody who has done it in August how crowded the ferries are.

When I was in the Amalfi coast, I used Benevenuto Limousines, and was happy with their service. You can find them on the web.

If you don't tolerate heat well, August is not the time to be in Pompeii. If you end up with a cool day or even a rainy day while in Amalfi, you might consider hiring a car to take you there (just take an umbrella!) It's an incredible sight.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:14 AM

Rather than Pompeii, which is very big and lacking in shade, consider visiting Herculaneum. It's small enough you don't feel like you've embarked on an endurance test, and many of the buildings have retained part of their second stories, and can provide shade or shelter as needed. Also, most of the frescoes from Pompeii were removed to the museum in Naples - more of them are in situ in Herculaneum.

I don't sleep well on planes, so there's no way I would embark on a day of sightseeing after a flight from JFK. I would either spend the first night in Naples, maybe visiting the Archaeological museum that afternoon if you're up to it, or take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, and next day visit Herculaneum or Pompeii from there. Then you can take the bus to Amalfi.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Herculeneum sounds like a great idea. I am now leaning towards the ferry to Capri right from the plane, spend the night and ferry to Amalfi next day. Any thoughts on this option? The total trip has us 4 nights in Amalfi and then back to naples to take a plane to Milan and spending 5 nights on Lake Como. It is just this one extra night I am having trouble with What would you add or do? Naples? Capri? Pompei (which can be added in any day)?
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM

There are shuttle busses from the airport to either Pompeii, Sorrento or Salerno (10 departures daily - 10 euro per person). After clicking the flag for English (upper left corner), click bus routes, not private shuttle.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Pompeii provides free luggage storage at the entrance.
www.pompeiisites.org
Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM

Ky,

Do you know if you can store your luggage at Herculaneum?

Mobilemoms,

Once you get onto Capri, it's not going to be easy to do a daytrip to Herculaneum. What might find convenient is, when you depart Amalfi, take a bus or ferry to Salerno. From Salerno, you can take a 20 minute train to Pompeii.

Either spend the night in Pompeii before heading to Napoli the next morning or stow your luggage and see either Pompeii or Herculaneum before moving on to Napoli, if you have time before your flight.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a hard time following your proposed itinerary. So far I've got:

Arr Napoli. Ferry to Capri.

Overnight Capri.

Morning, ferry to Amalfi.

And then???

Fly at what time to Milano from Napoli?

Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM

Given kybourbon's information that there is a shuttle bus from the airport to Pompeii, I would go directly from the airport to Pompeii, and book a night there (in a hotel with a pool!) If you've got it in you, take a gander at the sites. Otherwise, just wait until the morning, leave your luggage at your hotel, and tour. When you're done, take the train to Salerno or Napoli, and then a ferry to Capri. Then continue your trip.

But you have to be aware of when the last ferry leaves!

To everybody, can you always just walk up and get a ticket to the Capri ferries in the last week in August? Is there a chace mobilemoms will be waiting on a hot dock with her luggage because the ferries are too crowded?
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM

Don't know, but I would imagine that the morning ferries are crowded going TO Capri, and afternoon ferries crowded going FROM Capri.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

The itinerary is:

Arrive in Naples airport 8/22 8:00AM

I am booked in Amalfi 8/23-27

Depart Naples airport 9:35 8/27 to Milan where we go to the lake district.

I have the day of the 22 and that one night open. I can stay in Naples, Capri, Pompei or wherever I can get a hotel. I can see Pompei or wait for another day or not at all. Maybe Naples and the musuem on the 22 and than on the way to Amalfi on the 23 see Pompei? or not?
I was just thinking that maybe taking the ferry to Capri and spending the night would be cool but now it sounds exhausting!! As does Pompei!!! Maybe just spend the night in Naples and the next morning go directly to Amalfi to relax and do day trips if we want. I also am now concerned about the early morning flight out of Naples!! Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Amalfi to Naples? Maybe we should be in a closer hotel the night before?
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM

Getting from Naples airport to Capri isn't too bad. Take the Alibus from right outside the terminal building (www.alibus.it) to the second stop, Piazza Municipio. (Make sure it's the right bus, cost 3 euro, I believe.)

Piazza Municipio is currently a big mess, as a new metro station is under construction. When you get off the bus you need to walk to the left of the castle, heading for the white building with the two clock towers. After you cross the main street turn right for the ticket offices for the ferries. The boats leave from behind the ticket offices.

If you're staying in Capri town you can take a bus or the funicular from the port up to the town.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM

For those of us who can picture the possibilities, it's hard to find a way to communicate them that doesn't make it sound overwhelming.

Now I get it that you have one unbooked night, and all your other booked nights are booked into Amalfi.

I agree that if you want to go to Capri, it's doable. (You can make it easier by paying for a taxi transfer to the Napoli dock.)

Spending the night in Napoli and taking in the archeological museum also sounds like an easy plan.

Once you are staying in Amalfi, if you want to go to Pompeii, you can either pick up a tour, or my inclination would be to take the bus or ferry to Salerno, and take the train to Pompeii/Herculaneum from there.

For such an early flight from Napoli airport in high season, I think you would be wise to hire a car service to take you there from Amalfi or plan to spend the night closer to Napoli airport. (You might consider leaving Amalfi the morning of 8/26, going to Pompeii via Salerno, spending the night in Pompeii, and going directly from Pompeii to the Napoli airport. But you need to check that bus schedule to make sure it gets you there in time, or hire a car service.)

Hope that helps!
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM

Yes, Herculaneum has left luggage according to their website linked above (you must select Ercolano).

Left luggage
Opening times:
November - March, every day from 8.30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
April - October, every day from 8.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.
Please store all bags, knapsacks, umbrellas and other bulky objects in the left luggage.
The service is free of charge.

IMHO - The easiest thing to do is board the Curreri bus at the airport and go to Sorrento and spend the night. You can unwind there, enjoy the views, wander the streets, shopping, etc. or even hop a ferry to Capri (Sorrento's port is closer to Capri than Naples and the ride is short). If you go to Capri from Sorrento the day of arrival, be sure to book your return ticket because the return ferries don't run late (7ish). The next morning, arrange to leave your luggage at the hotel (most will store your luggage after check out) and train from Sorrento to Pompeii (or Herculaneum). The Sorrento train station is in the main part of town just a couple of blocks from Piazza Tasso and the train stop for Pompeii(Pompeii Scavi) is just across the street from the entrance. The train ride will be about 30 minutes and about 2€. Tour as long as you like and then return to Sorrento for your luggage. From Sorrento you can catch the Sita bus onto Amalfi (enjoy the coast views).
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM

Ferry info/timetables:
http://www.capritourism.com/en/ship-timetable

It seems there aren't as many ferries between Capri/Amalfi as Capri/Sorrento.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Zeppole and Kybourbon thank you. I will check into these possibilities and see what is doable. I will definately get either a taxi or private driver....just easier after traveling so much. I think to leave the night before the flight and go to Pompei sounds like a great idea. Thank you for all of your ideas and help!!