Poland in winter

Oct 5th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Alex Barnes

Poland in winter

I have never been to Poland, but love travelling Europe off season. Has anyone been there in winter?

Are things cheaper?
Is there anything to do?
I will be there just before Christmas and then off to Prague for Christmas and New Year.

Oct 5th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Art

Read my trip report on Poland. I just spent 8 days there last month. Poland is less expensive than anywhere in Western Europe.
Regards,
Art

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:00 PM
travelman

Alex.Winter is pretty severe in Poland. No place to run or hide.Bring lots of warm clothes.Hope you have lots of friends and relatives to keep you busy. Travelman

Oct 6th, 2001, 03:06 AM
Ewa

Alex, I live in Warsaw, Poland. If you have the special questions, feel free to email me.Regards, Ewa

Oct 6th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Geneva

Alex I used to live in Warsaw and Krakow for four years and would never return there in winter as a tourist. It is cold and not much to do. But summer is wonderful and my favourite time there were months of September and October.

Oct 6th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Lnda

I was in Krakow in December, 2000, and it was in the 40's-50's so you can never tell. Yes, things are cheaper. The Christmas market is not as big as larger cities in Germany and Austria but nice. Zakopane is a resort village about 2 hours bus ride from Krakow and is nice. Of course, Auschwitz/Birkenau camps are very close as well.

Oct 7th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Peter

Weather in Poland is similar to Germany or Lower Canada - it's not Alaska so don't listen to "travelman". You will definitely find off season prices, but not everywhere some of mountains areas may have mid season prices. As for to do's... Yes... there are cool castles, churches, places to hang out etc. all over the place. You will not be able to do any down the dunajec river rafting or sunbathing at baltic beaches, but those beaches are not so empty in winter - Poles do get out and like the outdoors. You also be able to take part of any winter season activities besides normal like skiing, there are open fire get togethers or horse pulled sleight rides.
Enjoy.