Search

Pleasehelp- logistics between Grindelwald, Milan, Modena, and Positano

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pleasehelp- logistics between Grindelwald, Milan, Modena, and Positano

Hello,

I'm helping a friend and his family plan a trip in July, and would love to have some suggestions on the following:

A family of 4 (teenage children) will be traveling from Grindelwald, Switzerland, to Milan, Italy on by train July 6th. They want to pick up a rental car somewhere nearby and then drive to Modena to see the Ferrari museum. They will stay the night in Modena. Then on July 7th, they want to drive the rental car down to either Naples or Sorrento, drop off the rental car, and then will continue to Positano (likely by private driver) and check into their hotel in Positano that evening.

I realize this is a very hectic schedule that is logistically complicated- but I can't talk them out of it. They are set on visiting the Ferrari museum in Modena and driving some kind of rental sports car from Modena to Sorrento/Naples.

What is the best way to do this? Which trains from Switzerland? Where should they buy the tickets? Best place to pick up and drop off the rental car? Suggestions for sports car rental near Milan? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it would be less hectic if they ditched the rental car idea. They can travel from Grindelwald to Modena and Modena to Naples faster by train than by car. They would have to book a fairly large vehicle to carry four people plus luggage. In Modena, they would need to avoid driving into the ZTL, whereas the Best Western Hotel in Modena (4-star, well reviewed) is within walking distance of both the train station and the Enzo Ferrari Museum. (If they're actually planning to go to the Ferrari Museum in Maranello, then it's a different discussion.)

The mention of driving "some kind of rental sports car from Modena to Sorrento/Naples" is curious. Have they investigated what "sports car" can be rented (esp. in the smallish town of Modena) that will hold 4 people plus luggage? Frankly, I can't think of one. "Sports car" and "cargo area" don't usually happen together. And the cost of this one-way rental???

You can search the Swiss Rail timetables for the journey from Grindelwald to Milan. From Milan to Modena and onward to Naples, use the Italian website.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html
[Use Italian spellings... Milano, Modena, Napoli...]
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean,

I agree about ditching the rental car but my friends insist on the rental car. They would pick up the rental in Milan, not Modena, then drive from Milan to Modena and stay the night there. Then drive from Modena to Sorrento the next day.

Should they purchase the train tickets in advance from Lucerne to Milan?
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 07:33 PM

Milan has a few sports car rental services where you can get an Italian sports car for a hefty price, maybe more than their airfare, and those cars will have to be returned in Milan. The traditional rental car companies usually don’t allow you to select your “sports car” and it may include a sporty luxury car like a Mercedes. That also will be pricey and maybe not as exciting as what they are hoping for.

The advantages of booking rail tickets in advance is that sometimes there are discounts; you don’t have to wait in lines for ticket machines or counters; and you don’t have to validate the ticket. The disadvantage is that online tickets in Italy (and I think in Switzerland) need to be purchased for a specific time have a four-hour window to use. I buy in advance when my schedule is fairly certain.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 03:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They insist? Let them do it and wish them well. IMO that is ALL you should be doing to "help" them.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Dukey1. I would let go at this point. Not everyone wants the help that they actually need.

But do have them tell you about that "sports car" that holds four people plus luggage.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:35 AM

Grindelwald train to Interlaken-Ost station - local train to Spiez and change to a few direct trains to Milan or more likely kind of thru trans with a easy change at Swiss-Italian border. Search www.sbb.ch for Grindelwald to Milan Centrale for possible discounted tickets. For lots on trains check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Lucerne to Milan same deal.

Also check www.trenitalia.com.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:54 AM

It would be illegal to put 4 almost adults (2 + 2 teenagers) into a sports car that is designed for two at most in Italy and in any other country. Plus they have luggage. They need a "normal" or a "large" car.

Milan to Modena is easy by car - or easy -ish! But then to drive down via Florence and Rome to Positano in ONE day on a horrific autostrada is not easy at all.

You can take a train from Milan to Rome in under 3 hours. Add another hour or so for Naples. Tell them that "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" - which in this case is take the train...
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 01:12 PM

I had a private driver from Fiumicino to Sorrento. It was not what I would call a scenic drive.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by whitehall

The advantages of booking rail tickets in advance is that sometimes there are discounts; you don’t have to wait in lines for ticket machines or counters; and you don’t have to validate the ticket. The disadvantage is that online tickets in Italy (and I think in Switzerland) need to be purchased for a specific time have a four-hour window to use. I buy in advance when my schedule is fairly certain.
For the EC (EuroCity) trains between Switzerland and Italy you MUST book in advance - you need a seat reservation and while you can use these trains within Switzerland without a reservation and without booking in advance you cannot continue the journey into Italy without the reservation. On weekends particularly these trains fill up. Plus if you get the booking done well in advance you can save money. Trenitalia has a "Mini Midi Maxi" fare which is unrestricted or very restricted depending on which you choose - lowest cost is very restricted. So you can save money.

I think your friends are being unreasonable about wanting to drive and when they encounter the traffic on the A2 in Italy AND when driivng around the coast they will regret it. If I were in your shoes I would wish them well on their drive and then take the train myself!!
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 02:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Driving from Milan to Modena then from Modena to Naples the next day sounds like the worst travel idea I've heard in a long time.

my google maps says it's a 2 hour drive from Milan to Modena, and then a further 7 hours [and the rest] to Positano. The only way I would consider doing it would be to take the longer route along the east coast via Rimini and Ancona [which cuts out Rome] and stay somewhere on the coast or in the countryside over night.

It's about 6 ½ - 7 hours on the train from Milan to Positano and the same from Modena to Positano and less than 2 hours from Milan to Modena on the train so it takes as long but would be more restful were it not for the large number of times you have to change trains en route.

The one option no-one has mentioned is doing a day trip by train [or car if they must] from Milan to Modena and then flying from Milan to Naples. or they could stay over night in Modena and fly from Bologna to Naples the next day. They could then take a car and driver to Positano which for 4 people would be quite cost effective and save getting their luggage on and off trains.
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all the good advice. I do agree that the car rental makes for a very tight schedule. But my friend’s son loves sports cars so it is a highlight for them to visit the Ferrari museum then drive from Modena to Sorrento.

I found a car rental company called Lurento that will drop off the car in Switzerland and pick it up in Sorrento. They have a wide variety of sports cars available for a hefty price. This is an option.

Appreciate all the input. Thank you!
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 11:27 PM

Seems like the sports car will be rented and at least two of them will drive to Sorrento... in which case please tell them that even in Italy you have to stick to speed limits etc. used to be a bit of a free for all on the autostrade there but is no more. The police will stop you and fine you and fines are relatively high. Also be very very careful about the centres of towns - many of those are off limits to all cars except for residents' cars. I got a €100 fine in Lucca for turning out of a parking lot the wrong way into a very narrow road. When I realised I was in a forbidden area I couldn't turn around to get out. Eventually a nice policewoman came to my aid, told me how to get out and gave me the fine. Being foreign is no defence.