Please , some advice and suggestions for our Ireland trip in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Ireland with another couple on July 18. We are flying Boston to Shannon and picking up our rental car from Dan Dooley's before heading out to Doolin.

We plan to spend 2 nights at Daly's House in Doolin, touring the Cliffs and the Burren and if weather permits, do a day trip to the Aran Islands from Doolin.

Next, we plan to spend 2 nights in Dingle, staying at Heatons Guesthouse, maybe do Slea Head and some SHOPPING!!! Also maybe check out Fungie the dolphin!!

From there we are going to Kenmare for one night and staying at Lansdowne Arms Hotel. Not sure what we'll do there. Maybe Ring of Kerry????

Lastly, we will head back to Shannon Airport and spend the last night at the Shannon Court Hotel.

How does this sound??? Which castle should we visit? Truthfully, we're not interested in Bunratty. Also, which pubs and restaurants?? Any "magical" sites along the way??? Thanks for any info!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Hi, I'm from Ireland and just got some great advice for my trip to Paris so thought I would reciprocate. Firstly your itinerary sounds very good so far. When you are in Kerry I would really try to take a boat trip to the Blasket Islands (if you dont want to be taking too many boat trips I would go for the Blaskets over the Aran Islands.) My husband and I went to the Blaskets several years ago and I can safely say it was the place closest to what Ireland was like 70-100 years ago. They are now uninhabitated and pretty bleak ( the day we went a mist came in over the sea and you could hardly see in front of you for a while) but the atmosphere there is amazingly tranquil and it COULD be 100 years ago - no shops/pubs etc.. Inch beach nr Dingle is vast and v beautiful- go for a walk there in the evening time-heavenly.The Horseshoe bar in Kenmare is really good for pints as is Packies for dinner but book beforehand.Killarney is pretty touristy these days. COming back from Kerry you will pass through Adare "Irelands prettiest village" - thatched cottages that people actually live in -not just for show.definitely worth stopping for a while - really nice shops.Have a great time and DRIVE CAREFULLY -we are going through a very bad spate of road traffic accidents here.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Sounds very do-able. I will be in Ireland June 23 to July 9, and starting in the same area as you. Ring of Kerry could easily take a full day if you want, drive careful! There are tour busses on that going counter-clockwise, so go clockwise to avoid getting stuck behind them

You may want to check out the forum at www.irelandyes.com, there is some great Ireland-specific advice there, too !

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi shinners and GreenDragon,
Thanks for the posts!!! Valuable information from both of you! I didn't know Adare was considered the "prettiest village". We'll have to check it out along with the Blasket Islands! Also, I got a great tip from the irelandyes website about bringing washcloths since many B&B's don't offer them.

I'm still wondering about which castle we should plan to visit. Any ideas??? Also, should we drive through Connors Pass coming from Doolin crossing on the ferry and on towards Dingle? I have been reading it's stunning going from the South up. Thanks again!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:01 AM

Can't help you on castle recommendations yet -- my trip to the west doesn't start until June 23rd!

However, we will be back by July 9th, and I will try to get the trip report up in time to help ya
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GreenDragon!!!! I just checked out your website which is really fascinating. You are so organized!!!! Can't wait to read about your new trip. Have a wonderful time!!!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Dunguaire Castle is a little south of Galway near Kinvarra. Here is the description from the 2003 edition of the Lonely Planet Ireland guidebook: "This castle (adult E4; 09:30-17:30 April-September) was erected around 1520 by the O'Hynes and is in excellent condition after extensive resoration. The castle is thought to be built on the site of the 6th-century royal palace of Guaire Aidhne, the king of Connaught....A medieval banquet is held here. The banquets are an intimate affair, with music, storytelling, and a hearty meat and mead dinner costing E38, with sittings at 17:30 and 20:45 May to September." Note: The 2005 edition of the Rick Steves Ireland guidebook quotes a higher price--E48.

Definitely tour Slea Head and as much of the rest of the Dingle Peninsula as time allows. It's gorgeous! If the weather is clear on your way to Dingle, drive over Connor Pass then in case it isn't the day you leave.

Unless your flight home from Shannon leaves first thing in the morning, I'd recommend staying in either Ennis or Adare your last night. If you haven't gotten your fill of traditional music in Dingle's pubs, you can get more in Ennis. And a previous poster has described Adare's charms.

Dingle pubs noted for their music sessions: Small Bridge Bar, O'Flaherty's, John Benny Moriarty's. Ennis pubs: Cruise's (nightly sessions and good food), Quinn's, Brandon's Bar.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Thank you Jayneann! What a nice way to put it -- I would term it A/R
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Green Dragon,
A/R? Been scratching my head, accounts receivable, always ready, advice review, aggressive relaxed........ sorry, brain freeze!!!

Thanks for the Dingle Pub suggestions, Tim. How far is Ennis from the airport? We need to be there by 8 AM the latest.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Ennis is 25km from Shannon. To be safe, allow up to an hour to get to the airport. Since you need to be at the airport by 8am, don't stay in Adare. It's farther and you have to go through Limerick to get there.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:21 PM

A/R = Anal Retentive... in this case, the urge to plan every detail to the smallest, tiniest point
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Jayneann,

I will be in Ireland 5 May for my annual trip - your trip is very do-able,
keeping in mind that driving can be very slow. Also, while GreenDragon was right concerning the tour bouses and the Ring - you should also keep in mind that while a clockwise journey may avoid some buses - you will also be driving on the cliff side which can be hair raising to say the least - either way - the drive is beautiful. Have fun and be safe!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tim,
Now I remember why we chose to stay at Shannon Court Hotel. It's only a five minute drive to the airport!!! Hopefully we will still be able to check out Ennis before we settle in for the night!!! Thanks for your valuable info!!!

GreenDragon,
I knew I knew what A/R meant!!!! Sorry, I've been out of college and psych classes for awhile!!!! I work with the Autistic population so terms such as OCD, SI and ADHD tend to be acronyms I use these days!!! Thanks for the good laughs!!!!

cchri24311,
Thanks for the feedback!!! Have a great time and please post when you get back!!!

Has anyone visited Ross castle lately??????