Please, I need help with Venice hotel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 20th anniversary trip in September. This will be our first trip to Italy. Venice is our first stop for three nights, so I want a hotel that is romantic, has a canal view, and has a bit of WOW factor. I am a bit overwhelmed after researching and reading reviews. I booked the Locanda Orseolo after reading all of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, but now I am wondering if this is the right choice. Also considering Palazzo Barbarigo, Aqua Palace, Ca Maria Adele. Can I get some opinions, or is there another suggestion that fits the bill? My husband is the one that really wanted to see Venice, but the planning is left to me, and I really want it to be special. Any help would really be appreciated!
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 04:57 AM

It would be a little bit expensive if you want a hotel in old city. When we came to Venice, our hotel was in a place called "Lido Jesolo" and we were very satisfied. Not exactly with the hotel, the place was great. There were restaurants, bars, shops and markets everywhere. We were so happy that we could spend our nights outside. Also the one of the the most important things was the sea. There are beaches onshore. Also, there are a lots of hotels with different standars. Also there's actually nothing to do in Venice's old city at night. For example, you wouldn't be able to find a resin Lido Jesolo. Our guide had told that Lido Jesolo is the one of the places where Italians prefer for their summer vacations. And when are you going to go? It's also important because prices increase when it's summer. It was September when we were there. It ws less-crowded and nice. But for a romantic holiday a hotel in old city would be good. It's up to you.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 04:59 AM

Sor I have written the sentence wrong: For example, you wouldn't be able to find a restaurant to have dinner in old city.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 05:05 AM

There are many discussions on this forum about Venice hotels and the pros and cons of staying in Venice proper or on Lido. Please, if you want to experience the true flavor of Venice, do not stay on Lido. Venice is unique, beautiful and romantic. Lido is a resorty beach area with none of the unique qualities of Venice. In addition, you have to travel on a Vaproetto to visit Venice. There are lots of discussions of Venice hotels here with input but lots of experience Venice visitors. Please do some research.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 05:12 AM

I don't know why the above poster could not find a restaurant in the old city of Venice, They are numerous and vey good.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 05:38 AM

What is your budget?

Locanda Orseolo gets very high reviews and is suggested quite often on this site, so it may be a good choice for you. Why are you hesitating?

Here are some others that are well priced and might interest you-

http://www.lacalcina.com/ (my favorite hotel in Venice)

http://www.corte1321.com/en/index.htm (not on a canal, but great rooms)

http://www.locanda-sanbarnaba.com/default.htm

http://www.casarezzonico.it/

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/

http://www.alpontemocenigo.com/en/rooms.htm

http://www.caangeli.it/eng/caangeli.html
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies thus far. I definitely want to stay in old Venice, just not sure which hotel. I guess I am hesitating because even though it gets good reviews, the rooms and bathrooms don't look very luxurious. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to take a water taxi from the airport and be WOW'ed (sorry I keep using this term!) when we step off to our hotel. Our budget is up to around $600. Please tell which hotel blew you away.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM

I have stayed at the Westin Excelsior Regina and Luna Baglioni and enjoyed them both. I also enjoyed the Hotel Danieli, but I don't know for sure if it is within the budget; I think you can get rooms at the other two within your budget. They are larger hotels, not really boutique hotels, but quite luxurious and grand. The Luna has a smaller feel. You might also check the Gritti Palace; I haven't stayed there, but I have been inside. All of them are in great locations on the Grand Canal and accessible by water taxi.

I don't know what the poster who stayed on the Lido was talking about regarding no restaurants or night life in Venice. Don't stay on the Lido; it is too inconvenient.

I was in Venice with my boyfriend last fall, and I did extensive research both in books, this forum and other forums regarding restaurants, night clubs, etc. There are many! We had fantastic meals each night and went twice to Caffe Lavena in Piazza San Marco after dinner for drinks and to hear the orchestra and for a bit of dancing. We also had drinks at the Gritti Palace bar's terrace on the Grand Canal; there was live music, and it was lovely too. Our favorite dinner was at Ristorante da Ivo -- delicious food, great service, very romantic and very expensive. It is accessible on foot and by canal. We also had a nice dinner with an amazing view at the Terrazza Danieli, the hotel's rooftop restaurant. One dinner was at Ristorante da Rafaelle, a lovely restaurant on a side canal near a gondola station close to Santa Maria del Giglio. It is perfect for having a gondola ride at dusk, then returning for your dinner reservation. You can even get drinks from the restaurant to take on your ride.

Please let me know if you want any additional information.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Look at the Hotel Canal Grande. Is that more what you want?
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 08:02 AM

I have been to Venice twice, and stayed both times at the Westin Europa Regina. It is a big grand hotel, as Delaine said, right on the Grand Canal, perfectly situated to walk just about anywhere. I think it fits the bill exactly of what you are looking for. Both times I stayed I used starwood cash & points, so I am not sure of the rates. It might be worth applying for the SPG AMEX just to get the bonus points to use for this hotel!

IMO, Venice is its most magical after 6:00pm after all the people staying on Lido or a cruise ship leave. It is quieter and romantic, but full action, restaurants and night life too.

One of my most memorable meals in Venice is eating breakfast at the Europa Regina early, before the canal gets busy. Their restaurant opens right up onto the canal. The buffet breakfast is rediculously expensive though - try to get a room rate that includes it, or choose a la carte.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Check out AD Place near San Marco. Absolutely beautiful. It is just behind the theatre., can't recall the name.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Vacay:

You might want to consider the Hotel Al Ponte Antico, which is the sister hotel of the Locanda Orseolo. Small but plush and right of the canal just steps from Rialto. I stayed there a year ago and thought it was great.

www.alponteantico.com
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Not sure what part of Venice is the "old city". Nor how the many many dozens and dozens of restaurants in Venice proper somehow disappeared when aegean 97 was there.

You do NOT want to stay on the Lido. It is a fairly lenghty vaporetto ride to Venice proper - and if there is something going on at the convention center (on the Lido) you may not even be able to get on the first boat. The beaches there are not very pleasant and while there are a couple of WOW hotels (we stayed at the Excelsior for the congress I did there) noting can make up for the romantic atmosphere of strolling Venice proper at night.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 10:22 AM

May I jump in here? I just booked Locanda Orseolo for four nights in September. I had tried for a previous trip and it was not available. But will we be happy with a superior facing the courtyard rather than a superior facing the canal. I have noted, and they have confirmed that the interiors of the superior canal rooms are less luxurious than the interiors of the superior canal rooms. And the deluxe canal front room is not available.

I've stayed at the Rialto Hotel right on the Grand Canal which was nice (the view nicer than the hotel itself) and have stayed in an apartment on a small canal. But somehow I find that we really don't sit and look at the canal anyway, and if anything even the small canals can be VERY noisy!

So I'm hoping this is a good choice. It's kind of the top of our budget at 270 euro per night. Does anyone know of anything "better" for that price?
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 11:42 AM

No, of course yo can find a restaurant. I meant that there is nobody in the streets of Venice by night.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM

But of course staying in Venice is good too. It's about your wishes from your vacation. And I think I couldn't read your question well. I realized that you had decided where to stay just searching for the hotels.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM

There is nothing wrong with staying on Lido rather than Venice if that's what you want. Some people go to NYC and stay in New Jersey. Some go to Las Vegas and prefer to stay well off "the strip". Some go to San Francisco and stay in Oakland or Marin. But if you think you'd enjoy the romantic quietness of Venice strolling at night or in the early morning, by all means stay IN Venice.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM

I may be committing heresy here but... Locando Orseolo wouldn't rank up there with one of our best stays in Italy.

We've stayed at three different places in Venice. The first was the Bisanzio in Castello - it was lovely but it was our first night ever in Italy so it could have been a hovel (it wasn't) and I'd have fond memories. A second trip to Venice and more research we found the reviews on Locando Orseolo and they had my husband at "chocolate" crepes! We made reservations and couldn't wait to experience all that others raved about. A change in flight plans allowed us to extend our stay by a couple days but there was no room in the inn at Locando Orseolo so we found Hotel Abadessa in Cannaregio. Oh my gosh! Loved it for the room (which was a "standard" but lovely; they also have some very elegant ones too), the location (central to most everything, just a few minutes walk in any direction), breakfast and complimentary aperitivo in the garden, and, speaking of the breakfast you won't believe the spread. I hated to leave. But on we went to our stay at Locando Orseolo. After all the hype, I'd guess my first response would be "disappointed". I can't remember the name or number of the room but it was at the very top of the stairs directly across from them. It was probably the smallest room of any of our 4 trips to Italy. King bed but with only enough space to just walk around it. And the bathroom - it wasn't much bigger than the one on the plane over! Let's just say that if you're much bigger than a size two you're going to be close and personal with the wall beside the toilet. There was a "canal view" - if you leaned out the window and looked staight down. And just to make a distinction between "canal views", there's the Canal Grande which I'd compare to a magnificent boulevard and the canal next to Locando Orseolo which would be more like an alley. But I don't want it to be all negative - the staff are lovely, the breakfast was great, and the location behind San Marco very convenient.

I don't know if any of our experiences are as grand as you seem to be looking for but any future trips to Venice would have me back at the Abadessa.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM

A friend stayed in the suite at the Ruzzini Palace and said it was outstanding. It is in a great location.

I checked it out for a family trip but for four people the suites are too costly for our budget.

http://www.ruzzinipalace.com/
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all the suggestions thus far, I really appreciate them, and I welcome any other suggestions or experiences. I am going to look in to all the hotels mentioned. Delaine, thank you also for your restaurant and nightlife recommendations, all sound wonderful. Toni_g_b, thank you for your honest appraisal of Orseolo. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -