Please Help with U.K. Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm planning a 21 day trip to the U.K. with my husband (both in early 30's). We are flying in and out of the London Gatwick. Here's what I have planned or am thinking of so far:

1) Arrive in London - stay for 5 nights
2) Train to York (1-2 nights)
3) Get to Newcastle (1-2 nights)
4) Get to Edinburgh - stay for 4 nights
5) Rent a car and travel around the Highlands (4 nights)

For our last 3 nights (we fly early on our 4th, so I'm not counting it) we were thinking of flying to Dublin, Paris or spending extra time around the highlands. Can I ask what you would do for 3 more nights if flying out of London?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM

We lived in England for 3 years recently - did all of those things. I think you may get bored in the highlands for extra time. It is beautiful, but not enough in my opinion for the extra time. I love paris, personally, and found it a wonderful day trip or weekend getaway when we lived in London. I have not been to Dublin, but it depends if you like beautiful rural or city type adventure. We loved the Lake District, which is gorgeous and relaxing if you like the outdoors. I always recommend the Lakes as a place of serene beauty, and it is in the north. Good luck - sounds like a great trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM

I am not sure how you would fit 3 days in Paris into the itinerary easily. I would personally skip Newcastle, and then you could have 5 nights in Paris but again it doesnt really fit nicely into your flight plan of Gatwick...could you get a flight out of Paris? Then you could fly Edinburgh to Paris, stay 5 nights there and then head home from there.

I work in Dublin alot, but I am not a big fan...but I love Paris. Up to you where your interests lie.

Another option would be to spend some time in the Lake District then spend your last night in London (drive home through the Peak District...both are very lovely.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. It really helps! Unfortunately, we have to fly out of Gatwick, so I think we'll do Paris properly on a future trip. I really like both of your suggestions to go through the Lake District and Peak District. Thanks again!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM
twk

I would add your time to the Highlands. Anyone who is bored after 4 days in the Highlands probably doesn't need to go to the Highlands at all. So, if you think a trip to the Highland is worthwhile, don't skimp on it. You can either fly back to London from Inverness, or take a train (overnight sleeper would be a possibility if you want something really differnt). I love Paris, but don't see how it would fit with the rest of your itinerary. Dublin, although it looks close to where you are on the map, is really no easier to get to from Scotland than Paris because the easiest way, by far, is to fly.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM

I agree with twk. I spent 4 days just on the Isle of Skye and wanted to stay longer. The time in Scotland could easily be spent well. I would also suggest cutting out Newcastle, though substituting the Lake District for that time works, as well.

Tell us what you like doing, (shopping, touring castles or abbeys, scenery, night life) and we'll tell you what you should plan
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM

<<< I would personally skip Newcastle >>>

Two World Heritage Sites within 30 minutes drive
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Another vote for the Lake District (as long as it's not in the winter or over a bank holiday weekend) - it's one of my favorite places ever. And though I know many would stay forever in the Highlands, if it were my trip (which it's not) I'd want to see some different places. So if your personal preference leans that way, it's a great, great place.

Since it sounds like you don't plan to rent a car until the Highlands - the Lakes can be done without a car, but having one will give you more flexibility. I've visited a couple of times without, and it's fine, but does limit where you can stay and visit using public transit. (For example, Windermere is at the end of one of the train lines, so staying in one of the smaller, more scenic villages past it is more complicated.)
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:01 PM

I think, whatever i did, I'd do it no the way north then fly back to Gatwick from Inverness
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I think you may get bored in the highlands for extra time. It is beautiful, but not enough in my opinion for the extra time. </i>"

IF one hates the outdoors, and IF one hates history, and IF one hates the most amazing scenery imaginable, and IF one hates castles, and IF one only enjoys big cities -- then and ONLY then could one get bored w/ 4 days in the highlands.

Edinburgh is marvelous (one of my favorite cities on Earth) -- but seeing Edinburgh is not 'seeing' Scotland. A few days in Edinburgh is not a substitute for seeing other parts of Scotland.

Sheila's idea of finishing up at Inverness and then flying to Gatwick is probably your best bet

(There are no flights from Paris to Gatwick so that complicates any ideas of going there)