please help with trip suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our 10 year anniversary trip for summer 2006. We are leaving the kids at home and would like to spend between 7-10 days away. I've never been to Italy; my husband has been and would like to take me to Rome. We would like to do 1/2 sightseeing in Rome and then spend the 2nd half relaxing on a beach somewhere. What areas would you recommend? Someone suggested Positano, but since I know very little about Italy, I was hoping someone here could make some suggestions. Also, any hotel or restaurant ideas would be welcomed too! Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Planning to be in Rome this Christmas, I'll let you know what I find out!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:17 AM

3 or 4 days in Rome followed by 4-5 in Sorrento or Positano with day trips to the surrounding area would be really really nice as an anniversary trip, I think. Very romantic! As far as hotels there are a lot of people on this board who could provide some suggestions but you might want to give an idea of your budget first...
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:03 PM
ira

Hi ac,

Another vote fro splitting between Rome and the Amalfi Coast.

You might want to consider flying into Rome and out of Naples.

Also see Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Stating your budget will really help for some suggestions. Also, are you planning on renting a car? No need for Rome but would be great for the coastal side trips.
LisaS
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Rome and Positano would be a perfect duo. Howver, you should not rent a car in Positano, use buses and boats to travel. Also be aware that the beaches there are rocks and not our type of sandy beach. It is a very romantic place with beautiful views and restaurants. Visit Ravello, Capri, Sorrento and Pompei.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Well, actravelgirl, have you considered Venice, the most romantic of cities? And much more relaxing than Rome. If you insist on beach, you can stay on the Lido, but I don't find that very romantic. Maybe fly into Venice and out of Rome.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM

I suggest Sperlonga, along the coast about an hour and a half south of Rome. There are beautiful sandy beaches and a quaint, historic town. Also lots of wonderful trattorias with great seafood. Nearby Gaeta also has lovely beaches.

On a recent trip to Italy, we stumbled upon Sperlonga, and stayed for 2 days, wishing we had more time for the area. We stayed at Hotel Amyclae right on the beach. Double room with balcony overlooking the beach in Oct. was 100E. Expect more in the summer!