Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with Spain Itinerary...SOON!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I will be in Spain for 10 days arriving and departing from Barcelona. We are early 30s, single, looking for a relaxing time...we have had a rough yr. Our only thoughts were to spend a few days in Barcelona and then go to Pamplona for a night for San Fermin but everything else is open. Any ideas on itineraries??? Would a parador type tour work and be worth it??? I know all you worldly fodorians can help me!!! Thanks!!!

Old May 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Well, the Catalunya paradores are amazing (visit parador.es for info), but if you are traveling in July you will need to book now. Also, if you don't have San Fermin accommodation you might want to skip it unless you will be renting a car or camping, in which case you can leave the city.

If I had 10 days in July and was looking for romance and recuperation I would start in BCN, do 2 days of touring and getting over jet lag, then head up the coast to Cadaques, visit Figueres, up to Girona, then back down to BCN for a few more days, maybe throwing a little beach time in Sitges into that mix.

That is a very generic idea of travel, but as I know nothing about you guys, that is what I can give. Going down to Valencia or Tarragona might be nice, though.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:01 AM

You could take the ferry over to Ibiza or take the train down the coast to Setges, which is only about 35 minutes away.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Hi,
Claire has given you a nice little list. We just returned from 12 days but spent 4 or 5 of those days on the French side. Cadaques is an excellent "escape". Hotel Playa del Sol, right on the water front is really excellent. Get a top floor balcony room and watch village life unfold. Also great sunset view w/ mountains as a backdrop. I'm not much of a pool person but their pool is situated in a quiet garden like atmosphere. Very, very relaxing!
Cadaques will not disappoint---unfortunately most beach towns up to that point along the Brava coastline will.

We did not care for Figueres but since it was raining we spent an afternoon at the Dali museum. (Thats a real head trip!! Expect crowds.)

We really like Girona. But it is much larger than expected, when you drive in. Plenty of parking down by the river/old section. The old section is very walkable & enjoyable. (Tip: Find the youth hostel and you can even rent bikes for an hour or two if you want.)Girona has a fine Rambla w/ reasonable prices at all outdoor cafes. We Stayed 30 klicks away in tranquil Begur. It is a peaceful hilltown and only 10 or 15 minutes away from several small beaches. Also, lots of old hilltowns to explore. Pals is a real treat. The young owners of the Aquaclaira (sp?) will tell you how to get to the more secluded beaches. Bring a good book!
If you can't get in there they offer dinner in a glass enclosed patio to the public. Coulier (sp?) on the French side has a well hidden old section too. Traffic will be unbearable(!)
regards,
Pete

Old May 26th, 2006, 04:48 AM

I think the nicest town on the Costa Brava is Calella da Pallafrugell. Check it out with a Google search.

Also, for July, consider going up into the Pyrenees if you are headed north.