Reload this Page >

Need help with a trip to a coastal city in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:49 AM
CC

We're 2 couples that travel each year together. We're thinking of going to Spain for our yearly trip. Last year we went to Hydra in Greece, before that St. Barts and so on. We like to rent a villa instead of Hotel rooms. We like to be close to the beach (we don't have to be ON the beach though) so our villa will have a great view. We love charming villages. We're not the museum types but we do like to see the sights and explore. Does anyone have any suggestions for Spain... where to stay... what to see? We'd like to stay about 7 days in a villa then maybe 3 days in another city sometime in May or the 1st of June. Should we rent a car? Can anyone help with this?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Carlos

My girlfriend and I just came back from Spain. We are not a big museum people, and we visited great places in Spain. If you like to go into the mountains but stay close to the coast. I would recommend you to go Porrera, it's a small wine village (about 500 ppl. population). You will need to rent a car to go to this location. If you want to go to an island, but stay away from the crazy crowd, you can always go to Formentera (1 hour boat ride south of Ibiza), You will need to take the transmediterranea ferry from Valencia (3 hour ride) or from Barcelona (8 hour ride) to Ibiza and then a smaller boat to Formentera...it's worth it. Seville is another town that I would recommend you to go, great food, great prices, great beer, friendly people. Stay away from Madrid...it's just another BIG city, but again there is a lot of history there. Finally, Pamplona is another great town you might want to visit, despite the main attraction is the San Fermin (Running with the Bulls) in July, there is plenty to see here.<BR><BR>Enjoy it!<BR><BR>Carlos

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Julie

I'd recommend the Costa Brava area near Barcelona. Beaches, some mountains, interesting sites. Check out the Dali museum in Figueres--even my husband who is not too excited about most museums and claims to dislike Dali enjoyed it. Cadaques is a great beach town. Roses has lots of lodging and some pretty decent restaurants including El Bulli with chef Ferran Adria often spoken of as the most inventive chef in the western world. Other resort areas in the region with plenty of good hotels--but not wall to wall high rises. A week there and then 3 days in Barcelona would make a wonderful trip. <BR><BR>Steer clear of the eastern coast further south, near Valencia, for instance. That is wall-to-wall high rises and IMO awful. Another alternative would be the area around San Sebastian on the northwestern coast. The small towns nearby, like Hondarribia, Leikeito would be fun for your week in a villa, then you could stay your 3 days in San Sebastian with a day trip to Bilbao to see the new Guggenheim by Frank Gehry--wonderful building whatever you may think of the art collection within.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:42 PM
cc

Thanks Carlos and Julie.<BR>I was thinking about going to or around Malaga or Seville for 7 days in a villa (they usually only rent Saturday to Saturday). Then taking a day trip to Tangier. Then spend 3 days in Portugal. But, one of my travel buddies suggested San Sebastian. Any opinions on this? Which would be better?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Pamela

San Sebastian would be my town of choice. A beautiful coastal town, superb food, friendly locals. I had a ball, in fact, I am going back there this September. <BR>Pamela

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:19 AM
cc

Pamela. Is there enough to do in San Sebatian for 7 days? Should we head to France for day trips? Have fun in September.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:38 AM
lala

Go to Marbella! Fabulous trendy beach spot, lots to do. It's expensive though, so pack the Euros! If you're looking for small town, go to Cadiz or Rota. There's a great hotel in Rota called Hotel Duque de Najera. You wouldn't believe the value in this luxury hotel.