Please help with routing Spain trip

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with routing Spain trip

My husband and I (and possibly another couple) will have 18 days in Spain in May 2012. Of that there will be two travel days, and one will be our arrival day in the AM but we know that first day will be pretty low key due to jet lag as we are coming from southern California. We have done a bit of travel…Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Greece, Nassau, Cancun, Exuma, Jamaica, Mexico, etc. We are very young 49-50 year old independent travelers, fun-loving and adventurous, moderate-budget (though splurge now and then), love the sun, water & boating, and enjoy good food/wine. Most of all we like to explore and soak up the atmosphere when we travel…no tours or cruises for us.

Our desire is to see Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Ronda, Malaga, Alicante, Valencia, and Barcelona. Valencia is not optional, our last name is Valencia . However, that puts us in a dilemma as to where to fly in and out of and how to get around without wasting too much time traveling, and we are using American miles so we have some limitations. We are inclined to drive once there (we normally do) but I have read that the driving scenery isn’t always amazing so maybe some trains or busses would be better? We could consider skipping Barcelona but with us going to Valencia, I’m not sure we should? We haven’t booked the flights yet (waiting for that 331 days before). Any suggestions on how to route this trip?

I promise, I will have more questions later
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM

You might want an open jaw ticket, landing in Madrid and departing from Barcelona. With Google map you can give intermediate points, and then stretch the itinerary line by clicking on it to cover other points. So can specify Madrid, Seville and Barcelona, and then stretch the line to cover the towns in between. That will give you a sense of distance and driving time for your trip.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM

I agree with the suggestion to fly into Madrid and fly home from Barcelona. I would take a train between Madrid and Valencia, and between Valencia and Barcelona, although perhaps driving from Valencia to Barcelona, along that famed coast, might be a better option. Barcelona itself is very walkable and a car there might be an inconvenience.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

So the drive from Valencia to Barcelona is nice? Hmmm, we might prefer that to a train. We would drop the car off at Barcelona of course...

Yes, I agree with getting open jaw, just not sure about where to start and where to finish. I like to save the wow factor for the end of the trip. But mostly I am concerned with all the in-betweens...like when and where I should bus, train or drive.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:56 PM

I assume that you don't want to visit Madrid because you didn't mention it.

Consider flying into Sevilla. I'm not sure about the exact order after that, but you can then make your other stops in Andalucia and work your way up the coast.

That being said, I think that you're trying to cover too much ground. Even without Madrid, you'd be visiting 8 cities in 18 days. Personally, I'd cut Ronda, Malaga, and Alicante.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM

I assume that you don't want to visit Madrid because you didn't mention it.

Consider flying into Sevilla. I'm not sure about the exact order after that, but you can then make your other stops in Andalucia and work your way up the coast.

That being said, I think that you're trying to cover too much ground. Even without Madrid, you'd be visiting 8 cities in 18 days. Personally, I'd cut Ronda, Malaga, and Alicante.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Sorry for the double post!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM

depending on the flights from your home town you might fly to Malaga... explore the South, take a train to Madrid from Seville or Cordoba ( if you don't wish to see Madrid , continue to Valencia right away - all fast trains), visit Valencia, train or drive to Barcelona ( a great city - not to be missed).Fly home.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I know it's way too many cities, those were just ones I'm interested in. Other than Valencia, all the other towns are optional. However, I don't want to only see cities, I'd like a little break in-between for some beach time, which is why I chose Alicante and/or Malaga. I am the type of person who would rather stay 3 days in places like Paris and Rome, and spend a week (or more) in Tuscany or at the coast. I am pretty sure I can only fly LAX-JFK to Madrid (or Barcelona) but until I can make my flight arrangements I won't know if my miles will get me all the way to Seville or if I will have to take a train from Madrid...hoping not. It's not that I don't want to see Madrid (if I had a month), but I want to go when it's hot enough to enjoy the beaches, so I think Madrid might be too hot for my taste this time around.

I guess how much time is eaten up by bus/train/car will determine how much time I spend in each location. We normally love the convenience of having our own car, but I have read so many posts where people say not to bother driving because they aren't all that nice of drives. So is a car still more convenient or is it less convenient getting around in Andalucia?
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Okay Danon, so you're suggesting I do some of the other towns such as Malaga, Granda, etc. before Seville, so I can then take a fast train from Seville to Valencia, and then drive to Barcelona. Now that sounds like it could possibly work even if I have to train from Madrid to one of those smaller towns upon arrival. Hmmm, something to think about, thanks!!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Honestly I think I'd focus on Andalucia and Valencia saving Barcelona for another trip. May is a wonderful and beautiful time in Andalucia - not yet too warm and many festivals in full swing. You could easily spend (minimum) 4 days in Sevilla (w/a daytrip to Cordoba or if it's the Patio Festival in Cordoba add a couple of nights there), 2 days in Granada, 2-3 days exploring the white villages and 2 days Malaga. This is already 10-13 days (and all with a minimum stay). You could stay longer and explore Ubeda, Priego, Cadiz, Sanlucar, Antequera, etc....You'll probably want 3-4 days for Valencia. So squeezing in Barcelona even with the minimum days wouldn't leave you much - and you wouldn't have time to explore the countryside.

You can fly LAX into Madrid directly now on Iberia (codeshare with American). From Madrid you can get an Iberia flight and start in Malaga. From Malaga you could work your way to Sevilla and then get a train to Valencia (transferring in Madrid as suggested previously). Or you could start in Sevilla (w/a flight from Madrid) work your way to Malaga and then fly to Valencia.

There's many ways you could do this - I think the dilemma will be figuring out exactly the places you can see in the 17 days.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:07 PM
wug

I was just in Spain last month, I flew American and did an open jaw, flew into Barcelona and out of Malaga. Both flights had a layover in Madrid. I loved the Andalucia area and some of the drives are beautiful, especially driving from the Malaga area up to Ronda and also up to Mijas. Also the drive to Granada is nice. We stayed just west of Malaga and did day trips. One of the day trips was even all the way to Seville. It was a long day and I wished I had had more time in Seville but, it was doable. That will have to be saved for next time.
I really loved Barcelona! I was there four days and felt like I saw quite a bit. I could have stayed longer but, I didn't feel like I had to "run" through it. We took the high speed train from Barcelona to Madrid, stayed there two nights and then did the high speed to Malaga. Madrid was a whirlwind but, I've been there before and didn't feel the need to stay very long. In fact, I probably would have skipped it except for the others with us had never been.
The places you've picked are all great. I wouldn't miss Grenada, Seville or Ronda as far as the Andalucia area. I didn't visit some of the other places you mentioned so I can't comment on those. If you need a local guide to be with you anywhere, I have a great recommendation. Have fun and let me know if you need any additional info. I'm not a Spain expert but, it is fresh on my mind.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies! It seems that our problem is finding some beach time as there doesn't seem to be great transportation between the Costa Blanca and Granada/Seville other than driving. Will I be just as happy spending a few days on the beaches of Costa del Sol instead of Costa Blanca? I value calm, clear water on white sandy beaches...drink service is a plus . For our beach time we don't really want a hotel that requires driving to the beach, we wanted a beach front hotel. I see there are some beaches up around Valencia but Valencia doesn't seem conducive to being in a beach front hotel and still within walking distance to everything else, but maybe I'm wrong?

And yes, I do see now that I can get a connection to either Malaga/Granada/Seville/Alicante on American from Madrid so that's cool and gives me more options.

Now, to throw a wrench in the whole deal, we're considering an extra 4 days to Marrakech for some camel trekking!
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:15 AM

For beach-time, perhaps consider Hotel Carabeo in Nerja just east of Málaga: http://www.hotelcarabeo.com/

The Parador would perhaps be even more luxcurious. Elevator down to the wide Burriana beach with lots of great waterfront restaurants. http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/nerj...-nerja.en.html

Nine beaches in Nerja, my favourite is tranquile El Salon. http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerjabeachguide/el-salon/

Photo of small Calahonda beach in Nerja: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/...de6a8146_o.jpg

Great video from the food market in Valencia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds8ryWd5aFw
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:36 AM

... and both Hotel Carabeo and the Parador are located in the center of Nerja with lots of great tapas bars, restaurants and cafés on your doorstep. Both are on the waterfront on the edge of the old town with a charming and local atmosphere. Free delicious tapas to choose with every drink in almost all bars/restaurants in Nerja. http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandrestaurants/
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM

I like having my own car to be able to visit the small quint towns at my own pace and not worry about schedules. But you do not need a car in Sevilla, nor Barcelona.

Valencia's beachfront hotels are not near downtown historic district but do have public transportation that works well.

However, Altea, Javea and Denia are small towns (south of Valencia halfway between Alicante and here) built towards the sea where you can have beachfront or nearly so with no problem since there really isn't anything else to "see" there except the main square or a small castle.

You have plenty of time for planning, I see.. and May is a great month usually. Should be a nice trip.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Kimhe, thanks for all the links, I will check them out! Are there any notable differences between Costa del Sol and Costa Blanca?

Lin, yes LOTS of time, it just seems there's so much to consider before planning the flights. Is there a particular area we should stay in Valencia where we could get by without a car there as well?
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Both Costa del Sol and Costa Blanca are generally very much developed. I don't know Costa Blanca very well, but friends say good things about Villajoyosa and Albir. Nerja (pop about 20 000) is also popular with tourists, but it has retained much of its Andalusian charm.

Villajoyosa: http://www.villajoyosa.to/
Nerja: http://www.nerjatoday.com/
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM

If you want to be carless in valencia and visit the historic center and its gems, then stay "downtown" as you can always take the metro the day you want to go to the Malvarrosa beach and /or the Science center.

If you DO bring a car I can tell you some areas it is quite easy to street park all day, then you wold take a bus/metro to the center.

However, Valencia is a bit spread out now as new areas have been developed.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, maybe I should fly over from Granada to Ibiza or Formentera for a beach stay instead? Then I could fly back straight to Valencia.... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -