Reload this Page >

Please help with Paris anniversary trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 02:46 PM
suzbutler

I am beginning to plan a trip to Paris with my husband to celebrate our 25th anniversary and his 50th birthday. We want to go the first week in November. Money is an issue since we have a daughter in college and another getting married. Please help!

1. Airfare rates from BWI to CDG are in the $430 range - is this a good fare? Since the dates for our trip are not too flexible - how long should I wait to book.

2. Am considering the Hotel Bonaparte, Hotel Muguet and Hotel Jeanne D'Arc. We are looking for a quiet (not dead) area that is safe and near inexpensive restaurant/cafes and the Metro. Fridge and safe in room would be great. Any suggestions?

3. Not sure how much to budget for meals - would like to stay under $60pp/day - except of course for our anniversary meal. Is this realistic?

Any healp would be greatly appreciated!

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a good fare. If your dates aren't flexible, I'd take it. Don't get bent out of shape if they go down a couple weeks before you leave....you can't really count on that happening. But for this year -- that's a good price. We stayed in Jeanne D'arc last year. It is well located, and in an area with lots of good shopping and restaurants. Don't remember if there was a safe in the room or a fridge though. We really didn't feel we needed them. For the money, I think it's a great place to stay. The rooms are plain, but it really is a great location.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM

$60pp per day is a good food budget -- you should do fine. For breakfasts, don't eat at your hotel -- especially if you stay at Jeanne D'Arc --there are so many incredible patisseries in the area where you can do much better and enjoy watching people heading off to work, kids to school, etc.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Just came back from Paris, and this is my observation on food costs:

1. Hotel breakfast can be expensive. Our 3-star Mercure charges something like €13 for a breakfast buffet. It may still make sense if you stuff yourself enough in the morning and skip lunch...

2. Instead, we bought bread at a local bakery, and ham at a deli. Still more expensive than at regular U.S. supermarket, but the quality is excellent.

3. For lunch and dinner, a regular brasserie where a lot of locals eat can still be somewhat expensive. Something like €8 for a salad, or €6 for a soup. If you eat real meals at a nice restaurant, it can be quite expensive.

4. The best deals are the set menus at touristy places like the Latin Quarter. At this time of year (low season), they went for €10 to €15 for a three-course meal. Excellent value. Their prices can change depending on amount of business, but November shouldn't be expensive.

5. A crepe with sugar only at most stalls are €2.5, w/nutella or other stuff, €3-3.5.

6. A combo meal at McD or Quick (the local chain) is about €6.

7. Set dinner at Jules Vernes on Eiffel Tower is €120.

Just some ideas...
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
suzbutler

Uhoh Busted: Thanks for the advice. My main concern with the flight is that I have less that an hour to change planes in London - that seems to be cutting it close - especially since BA won't let me carry on my carry on! The next lowest fare was around $600.

Glad to hear my meal budget is not off the mark. And I was leaning toward the Jeanne D'Arc since the rates for a double were pretty low.

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Just to make you feel good about your airfare--I'm looking to book airfare from Cincinnati to Paris the end of July (the most expensive/busy time of the year)for a family of four at a cost of $900 per ticket right now. I'm also locked into specific dates, so I guess I'm going to have to go for it---ugh! Just thought I'd make your day Have fun!
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
suzbutler

OK Gingergirl, now I don't feel so bad. I guess it could be worse - glad I didn't opt for that June wedding after all!

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM

I'd grab that airfare!

Of your 3 hotels, I'd go with the Bonaparte, just because I prefer the 6th, But any one would be okay. The 4th would be my second, the 7th , 3rd.

You should have no problem with keeping in your 60 E per person per day budget. Skip hotel breakfasts , unless included. Paul has the same thing for 3.30E. grab a crepe or baguette for lunch and still have plenty leftover for a good diner wih wine. Ches Fernand on Rue Christine is a new must visit again for us
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Our first two trips to Paris we stayed at hotels in the Marais. After that we stayed at a large studio apartment on rue de braque in the marais and a great one bedroom on rue ste. croix de la bretonnerie in the marais. We have stayed in apartments from 3 to 6 nights. I much prefer the apartment experience. I also find it less expensive for eating out. It is a great experience shopping at small stores and markets and even the monoprix for food and bringing it back to the apartment with a good bottle of
wine. Do a search on the forum. We used rentparis, but there are alot of rental companies or rent from owner around.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:35 AM

Your three hotels are all in safe, quiet areas with inexpensive restos. I'd personally choose either the Bonaparte or the Jeanne d'Arc since I like those areas better than the 7th. This is simply personal taste. There are many folks here who love to stay in the 7th. I've stayed at the Muguet and thought the hotel was wonderful but I didn't go back since I prefer the 6th. Jeanne d'Arc is my choice for the next Paris trip, although the Bonaparte is the choice for the trip after that.

You can do $60pp per day for meals if you don't drink too much!! My after dinner armagnacs always push up the bill! There's threads here on inexpensive and budget restos.

If you stay at the Bonaparte I can recommend Marco Polo on rue St-Sulpice and Relais de l'Entrecote. And you shouldn't miss the Polidor for a Parisian bistro experience.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:44 AM

My wife & I have stayed at the Jeanne d'Arc. It was fine for the price. It is in the center of the Marais area which you will love to stroll around. The Place Voges is only two blocks away. Goldberg's deli is a short stroll. (The salami is great!)

If I were doing what you are doing, I would stay at the apartment my wife and I stayed at a year ago.

Check out http://www.an-apartment-in-paris.com/ to rent apartments in good areas nr tourist areas for $400 to $500/ week! It is owned by Jean-Marie Tisserand, a wonderful guy.

Ours was in the heart of Paris at 10 Rue Aubriot , 4th arr. (district,) in the historic "Marais".

It is in a beautiful 18th century "Hôtel Particulier" (townhouse built for the noble family) it opens on a very quiet inner courtyard. It is on the fourth floor 95 steps! There is no elevator, as almost no old Paris apartments have the. You do have to be in decent shape to endure the steps, particulary after a long day of walking and standing. This small and charming studio (with exposed beams, authentic quarry tiles) is tastefully decorated, fully equipped and furnished for 2 people. It was bright, clean, comfortable and safe. It was an unforgettable stay in Paris. It was recently remodeled in a modern style.

I refer to it as a garret and is located in the heart of Paris on Rue Aubriot , 4th district, in the historic "Marais". My wife and I stayed here, 11/2002. We loved it.

The exceptional location of this studio gives you the opportunity to visit major museums and interesting sites of Paris: Place des Vosges, Pompidou centre, Musée Picasso, Notre Dame Cathedral, Le Louvre...just a few steps away !! On Rue Saint Paul are many antiques shops. On Rue Rambuteau just 5 minutes walk ; several food markets. We loved shopping. We discovered "real" that you can't even import into the states.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:45 AM

I forgot to mention the exchange rate is horrible now. I personally would delay the trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 10:22 AM
suzbutler

Thanks for all your advice - don't know if I am any closer to making a decision but at least I know whatever we decide - it will be wonderful. Had not considered an apartment because My husband and I are not keen on cooking while on vacation. But I will consider it - get a real feel for living in Paris.

Stevewall: We thought about waiting but it has been our dream to be in Paris for our 25th. We have put off many things these past 25 years waiting for a better time only to find out that it may never come. Those days are over - we may be poor but we'll be happy!!

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Don't think of the apartment option as a means to cook. Think of it as more space for probably less money with the ability to make hot or cold breakfasts & possibly lunch SOMETIMES. Since money is an issue & exchange rate isn't helping, I think an apt could be very romantic.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I live in the DC area and think that is a really good price on the air fare, if it includes taxes.

You could easily stay within that budget for meals without sacrificing, I do it all the time without even trying.

A lot of apts. I've seen in Paris are more expensive in hotels and aren't as nice. The ones that Stevewall mentioned aren't $400-500, they are that in EURO, so the exchange rate is going to affect that also. You would be able to save on breakfast if you want to, I prefer being out in Paris when I visit there myself than staying in. I wouldn't so almost no apts. in Paris have elevators, either, as I wouldn't rent one on the 4th floor without one and have always had an elevator, even in older buildings. But it can be a good workout if you don't mind that. I just won't rent places without elevators above the 3rd floor as I know that will probably affect my desire to pop in and out to the store for something. If that apt. looks nice to you, even $600 for a week is pretty good in comparison to a hotel, and you will get the frig you want.

I've stayed in the Muguet and they don't have minibars, but do have safes. I don't think the Jeanne d'Arc has minibars, but also does have safes. I think the Bonaparte is unusual at that level and price for having better amenities.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM
ira

Hi suz,

Good price on air fare if taxes included.

Hotel Bonaparte has a lockable fridge (we use it as a safe). Bkfst in your room is included.

$60pp is about 100E per day. There are quite a few inexpensive restaurants near the Bonaparte (as well as markets) so that you could easily eat within that budget.

Happy Anniversary.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM

I can back up what Ira says. Bonaparte has a (tiny) elevator, too. Ask for a room higher up and on the street side.

There's a Monoprix one street over...Rue de Rennes at Blvd St Germain, I believe. There's an area behind the hotel with pizzarias, creperies, delis and restaurants. Be careful ordering sodas anywhere in Paris....we got hit with an 8.5euro tab for a coke...always ask.

You can eat well for your budget. Menus (with prices) are posted outside all restaurants.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM

"My main concern with the flight is that I have less that an hour to change planes in London - that seems to be cutting it close - especially since BA won't let me carry on my carry on! The next lowest fare was around $600."

I agree that would be cutting it close. November invariably brings great fares to Europe and if you can fly directly into Paris instead of changing planes in London, that's worth something.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM

We just booked a six-night trip to Paris in June with Virgin Vacations. The cost for each of us with airfare, three-star hotel, breakfast each day, taxes, etc., three-day museum pass, and five-day metro pass was $1,048. You might want to try their web site and see what the cost would be for your trip rather than purchasing each part individually.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I forgot to say we were flying from Washington Dulles airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -