Please help with Italy travel

May 22nd, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Please help with Italy travel

Hello, My boyfriend and I are traveling to Italy on 6/11-6/23. We are flying into Milan and leaving from Rome. We want to relax and have FUN! Dining, shopping, drinking, etc. Neither of us have ever been to Europe and we are not using a travel agent. I am about to book our first 2 nights in Milan. Do you have any suggestions for the other cities? We were thinking Cinqe Terra and then down to Tuscany?? Please help, I really should book these hotels soon. Also, please keep in mind that we are young and would probably be bored in the middle of no where...

Grazie!!
Natalie
May 22nd, 2003, 09:50 AM

Being your first trip and moving in the direction from noth to south, I would consider 1 night Milan, then head to Venice for about 3 night. Venice is one of the most magical (and romantic) places on earth and not to be missed if you can fit it in. From there you can work your way south through Tuscany/Florence and maybe CT to Rome. Spend at least 4 nights in Rome (you can easily spend a week just there).
May 22nd, 2003, 09:52 AM

Don't worry, you will not be bored anywhere in Italy.
May 22nd, 2003, 09:58 AM

Natalie, can't help with your itinerary but if you haven't booked a Milan hotel yet, try Townhouse 31, a hip boutique hotel.

There's a website initaly.com Don't use it for booking anything (prices too high) but it has good info on shopping (she lists outdoor flea markets), dining and sightseeing.
May 22nd, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Awesome tip on the hotel in Milan. I will definetly check it out! Any other great tips like this...how about for Venice, Rome or Florence? Thanks a ton!
May 22nd, 2003, 12:24 PM

We go to Italy when you return! For our honeymoon. Our plan is in and out of Milan but I'd suggest to you:
Into Milan, 1 night is enough, see the Duomo roof. Train through Verona (stop off if able) to Venice for 2-3 nights. Try www.hotelgalleria.it.
Train to Florence 3 nights. Day trip to Siena or San Gimigano one day. Train to Cinque Terre, stay 2 nights so you have one full day. Then Train to Rome, spend last few nights there exploring.

Other option is 2 nights Florence, to Cinque Terre, 1 night, rent a car in Pisa and drive into Tuscany, staying at little villages along the way, turning car in when you get to Rome.
May 22nd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know how I can find information on Townhouse 31 in Milan? Also, what does CT mean? Haha...Grazie
May 22nd, 2003, 02:29 PM

Eileen, You are a quick study !
May 22nd, 2003, 02:45 PM

Looks like you have 11 full days.
Here is what I would do.
Milan 2 nights ? Or Florence 2 nights
Venice 3 nights
Cinque Terre 3 nights
Rome 4 nights
Dont try and see so much. You will be exhausted and wont remember much. I have been to Italy 2 times and only saw Milan on a day trip. The Duomo and the Victor Emmanuel Galleria are the 2 big sites and they can be seen in a few hours. I think Florence warrants 2 days alot more than Milano.
On our first trip to Italy we went straight from the airport in Milan to the train station and onto Venice.
I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Italy is incredible !!

May 22nd, 2003, 04:38 PM

I've posted the info on Townhouse 31 on your other string. Sorry I should have done that earlier In Venice, if you're into boutique/hip places, you might want to consider the Ca'Pisani in Dorsudoro. Great location near the Accademia bridge, newish hotel with jacuzzis, good restaurant (La Rivista). The only downside is it's not on the water. For another small boutique hotel that IS on the water (but not as modern) try the Palazzo Sant Angelo at sinahotels.com
May 22nd, 2003, 04:42 PM

PS CT=Cinque terre

If you're into modern try the restaurant Avogaria in Venice. It's hard to find (in fact I passed it by accident and then couldn't find it again,lol) but someone here posted a fairly detailed description on how to get there if you do a search try Avogaria AND venice
May 22nd, 2003, 05:40 PM
GaiusJulius

I would suggest that you stay outside of Milano if you have a car. I recommend the Excelsior in Bergamo 30K from Milano. After Milano, I would probably go to Florence, and stay at the Cavour Hotel. 5 minutes from everything. Stay for two nights.
Then, I'd pass on the Cinqie terra and I would go to Sorrento for three or four days and wind up in Rome for five or six days.
Check this out and see if it fits your bill. Cinqe Terra is a great place and destination, but only after your have seen Florence, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast, and Rome.
It'll be the next trip.
Ciao,
GaiusJulius