Rome Buses--How to Use?

Search

Rome Buses--How to Use?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2003, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Buses--How to Use?

Can anyone "walk me through" how to use the bus system? I found this note on it: "Pass holders board at the FRONT of the bus, Italians do not usually show their 'tessera', but you should be ready to do so if asked. Ticket holders board from the REAR of the bus and must validate their ticket on a little orange machine."
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:06 AM

I never take the bus in Rome. Taxis are so cheap that the hassle of schedules and gypsies isn't worth it. Especially if there is more than one traveling. But as with the trains, you must validate your ticket, but on buses it is on the bus not outside. I would get on any door and just make sure you validate the ticket. Put it in the machine and it stamps it.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:08 AM

If you are using tickets get on the bus at the rear and stamp your ticket. When I was in Rome there were two different types of tickets depending where you bought them. One was skinnier than the other and the buses had two different validating machines for each kind of ticket. You get off at the door in the middle and before you get off you are supposed to ring the bell (button near the middle door) to let the driver know you want to get off at the next stop. If there are people waiting at the stop the bus will stop anyway, but if there is no one waiting it won't stop. You can buy bus tickets at any Tabacchi shop. I found the bus system very easy to use, but it is rather crowded at certain times of day.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:09 AM

Just buy the tickets at any tobacconist (if you plan to use them a lot get yorself a one day or three day pass), stamp the ticket and travel. you can use more than one bus with the same ticket, it is valid for one hour and 15 minutes. And taxis in italy are far from cheap!!! if youa re afraid of being pickpocketed, just keep upir money in a walled into a bag or "marsupio" (those bags that are worn around the waist) and during the bus trip lay a hand on it.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:12 AM

When we were in Rome last month, we bought a weekly pass (12 Euro)and validated at the machine in the rear of the bus. But we, and just about everyone else, used either the front or rear door, whichever was most convenient at the time. I think the buses are great. They run very frequently and we had no trouble with gypsies or pickpockets. While taxis are less expensive in Rome than other large cities, they can add up. We took a taxi from Largo Argentina (center of Rome) to Termini station one morning and it cost 11 Euro for a ride that lasted about 7 seven minutes.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:00 AM

More info: www.atac.roma.it/trasroma/indexuk.htm
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There are ticket validating machines at the front as well as the back of the bus, at least on some of the buses that I remember, so it is not necessary to board at the rear. However, at some crowded times of day it is nearly impossible to get to them because the buses are so crowded you can't move.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:01 PM

Sorry Alice, but in Rome, even Rick Steves (a travel writer that recommends the cheap way of going) recommends taking taxis over buses because they are cheap. Places like the Amalfi Coast taxis are rediculously high, but Rome is cheap. Believe me I travel cheap and wouldn't spend a dime more than I need to.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:59 PM

We were there in May. Busses were fine, tad crowded at the usual commuter hours. Info already posted tells you the key points, buy before you board and validate if it isn't too much of a chore. The ticket inspectors seem to be adept at avoiding the locals and spotting tourists, though inspctors are rare. But, why take a chance?

Don't get too worried about RS advice, so many things are situational. Maybe his advice is apropos in high season. We did just fine in May.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends what you mean by cheap. When I was in Rome with my daughter, we took the bus quite a bit, and it cost less than one euro apiece to do so. When I was tired of walking or later at night we took taxis, and the fare was usually eight to ten euros for the two of us. Was it worth it to take the taxis home at night? Sure. Did we save a lot of money by using buses during the day? Yes indeed.

The bus system is extensive. No need to worry about schedules, they come all the time. Tickets were readily available at the front desk of our hotel, as was a bus map. I recommend purchasing the bus map if you will be exploring a lot by bus, just to find out which routes are covered by which buses.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:55 PM

If you're going to be in Rome for a week or close to it and you anticipate lots of bus trips--buy a week's pass. It eliminates the hassle of purchasing tickets, validating tickets and timing how long until your validated ticket runs out. We've been in Rome for a week the past two years and have used the weekly tickets both times. You just walk in and out of the Metro, on and off any bus you please (and I wouldn't worry about which door to enter). Purchase the the pass at the larger Metro stops in the Tabacchi (this past year we got ours at the Colosseo stop). You write your name on it and either when you purchased it or when it expires (or both)--I can't remember. We have seen the Metro police checking tickets just once.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:59 PM

Oh, and I should have mentioned that the week's pass also covers the train (within a certain zone) and we went out to Ostia Antica this year without any extra charge.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:01 PM
GaiusJulius

Stay at a hotel near the Pantheon, then you won't have to use the bus or a cab.
You can walk anywhere from there safely and along proven and well marked and secure routes. Anywhere else you want to go, take a cab. They're cheap.
GaiusJulius