Search

Please help...w/ family friendly Rome location

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 08:27 AM
jfm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help...w/ family friendly Rome location

...Will be traveling to Rome in February with family of 6, including a child, teens, and a senior. Can anyone help with suggestions on what Rome location / neighborhood might be family friendly and central?
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 02:40 PM

I would think that lodging, and the cost of it, would be one of the major problems. Have you checkes the B&B websites on what's available?
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:05 PM
jfm
Original Poster

right on the lodging...seems like an apartment rental is best bet from what i can see and would like to pin down right area / neighborhood to start looking...thanks for your reply.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:52 PM

We are also going to Rome with a family in January. So far I am getting more warnings than advice, mostly about the pick pockets. I try and stay in the nicest places with multi-room suites and try to do active things with the children like piza, pompei, the vatican, and ruins of rome. We will be in Rome only a couple of days. Children are not much for museums. You may wish to have the teenagers go one way and the senior go another. Or allow the senior to bow out of half of a long day.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:17 PM

We stayed around the corner from the Pantheon in July, and found the location superb. I'd check out ALBERGO DEL SENATO, which is often recommended here. It has a few apartments available, as well as regular rooms. I also agree with other posters that renting may be a good choice with a family of that size.

Good luck!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:37 AM

Italy, in general is very famil friendly. As far as neighborhoods in Rome, I like the area near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. Many other prefer being closer to the Spanish steps (nearer to shopping in the designer stores). Either location is convenient to sites and restaurants. For a more local neighborhood feel, trestavere could also be a nice area to stay. I would think an apartment would work well for your size group. I know the Santa CHiara hotel does have 1 or 2 apartment type accommodations but I don't know if it's large enough for 6 (I know it can work for 5). I family/quad room and a double room combination would also work.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:31 AM

I would also recommend the Pantheon/Piazza Navona areas. I have stayed in both and found them to be comfortable (safe) family friendly and convenient to most things.

I have stayed at the Santa Chiara twice (one night in one of their apratments, which was very nice)and can recommend it highly. However, it can be fairly pricey...over $200 US per nigh for a double.

This past June we rented an apartment at Palazzo Olivia (right off Piazza Navona). Except for not having AC, we thoroughly enjoyed the apartments, the management and the area. We paid less than $200/night for a comfortable one bedroom apartment with kitchenette. They have a web site (www.palazzo-olivia.it) and can be booked directly or through www.Tuscanhouse.com. They have 2 bedrooms units available as well. There are reviews on www.slowtrav.com
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:49 AM

I have rented an apartment near the Spanish Steps for the first week in April. It looks fabulous and the price is very reasonable. Here's the website: http://www.romehome.de/en/spanische/17.php
ciao . . .
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:46 PM
jfm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the excellent insights and suggestions...very much appreciated and extremely helpful.